Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1826
TomGallopavo
macrumors newbie

So I got my first iPhone the 5s. I wanted a case and read about the Sector 5. When I saw it I knew I had to have it....then I saw the price. So I hit the internet in search of a cheap price. Of course I came across many fakes and didn't want to go there. Several days pass and to feel envy I go to the Element site and start building a custom case. All black (my phone is space grey) except a red power button and the attack back. Comes to 165.95 And for some reason I put it in the cart. To my surprise it lists as 145.95! So I think well that's cool I'll look for a coupon, that I find for 5% off which makes it 138.65 with free shipping. I think it is meant to be so I order it. Then I have a 12 dollar credit at Paypal so I get the case for a buck twenty six...pretty psyched. Ships the next day I have it in four days....I am not disappointed.
TomGallopavo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1827
TomGallopavo
macrumors newbie

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	450297  
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1828
TomGallopavo
macrumors newbie

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	61
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	450298  
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1829
TomGallopavo
macrumors newbie

Pic 3
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	656.8 KB
ID:	450299  
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #1830
jishka67
macrumors newbie

Can I use someone's Loyalty Rewards? Please.
jishka67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1831
iOperate
macrumors newbie

I'm looking into getting a custom Sector 5 but am trying to figure out how I'm going to hook this onto my scrubs at work.

I'm wondering if the adhesive holding the back plate on is strong enough to hold the phone dangling from my waist?

If so I will either
1. buy the black ops elite plate with the built in clip or
2. attach a fixed or riveting belt clip (ie. http://www.theclip.com/store/home.php?cat=277) to the standard or attack carbon fibre back plate?

I haven't really seen a video of how easily that back plate comes off, but since it is reusable multiple times I can't imagine its very strong.

My other option is to get a pouch/holster setup that I can clip on but I really don't like a little purse attached to my waist Unfortunately all of the element cases have belt loops so thinking about possible buying their synthetic leather case and attaching a belt clip to it or finding something by another manufacturer that will hold it well.

Suggestions? I haven't seen much on here about how people are holstering these bad boys.

Attached is my custom build.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Custom sector 5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	457580  
iOperate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:19 AM   #1832
Haru
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOperate View Post
I'm looking into getting a custom Sector 5 but am trying to figure out how I'm going to hook this onto my scrubs at work.

I'm wondering if the adhesive holding the back plate on is strong enough to hold the phone dangling from my waist?

If so I will either
2. attach a fixed or riveting belt clip (ie. http://www.theclip.com/store/home.php?cat=277) to the standard or attack carbon fibre back plate?

I haven't really seen a video of how easily that back plate comes off, but since it is reusable multiple times I can't imagine its very strong.

My other option is to get a pouch/holster setup that I can clip on but I really don't like a little purse attached to my waist Unfortunately all of the element cases have belt loops so thinking about possible buying their synthetic leather case and attaching a belt clip to it or finding something by another manufacturer that will hold it well.

Suggestions? I haven't seen much on here about how people are holstering these bad boys.

Mike
Don't risk using any adhesive back plate with a clip. I snapped off a belt clip just getting on to the car. With enough force and the proper angle, your going to watch your Element go flying and then skidding on the ground.

I'm currently using the action zipper case from Element. Definitely the best belt case ever. Wrapped with velcro around the belt, it is more sturdier than metal or plastic. Gives good pull and allows stretch to avoid any snaps. In other words if your pouch goes so does your pants. I also connected an Element lanyard for easier pull out of the zipper case. Zipper is great, more secure than magnet or velcro strap. If you want full protection go for the action zipper case.

If you think belt cases are too 90s, then I suggest the Element holster. It will stay on your belt securely, however I don't like the idea of the plastic snap. Potential for breakage and you might need a Bodyguardz Pure to protect the screen from any pressure pressed on your screen.

Don't bother with their leather. The quality is nice but not durable since it's too soft. Wasted my money on the leather back plate.
Haru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1833
iOperate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru View Post
Don't risk using any adhesive back plate with a clip. I snapped off a belt clip just getting on to the car. With enough force and the proper angle, your going to watch your Element go flying and then skidding on the ground.

I'm currently using the action zipper case from Element. Definitely the best belt case ever. Wrapped with velcro around the belt, it is more sturdier than metal or plastic. Gives good pull and allows stretch to avoid any snaps. In other words if your pouch goes so does your pants. I also connected an Element lanyard for easier pull out of the zipper case. Zipper is great, more secure than magnet or velcro strap. If you want full protection go for the action zipper case.

If you think belt cases are too 90s, then I suggest the Element holster. It will stay on your belt securely, however I don't like the idea of the plastic snap. Potential for breakage and you might need a Bodyguardz Pure to protect the screen from any pressure pressed on your screen.

Don't bother with their leather. The quality is nice but not durable since it's too soft. Wasted my money on the leather back plate.
The problem with both the action zipper and the holster from element is that they are both loop style for belts. I need to attach mine to scrubs (no belt, like pyjamas) so need a clip on of some sort.

I agree having the clip attached to the phone trusting that adhesive is a bad idea.

That still leaves me with adding a clip to the leather element pouch or buying something from a different make that will fit the Sector 5. Anyone know of a clip on case that fits?

M
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1834
Partridge
macrumors 6502

Quote:

If so I will either

Mike

Just stick it in your scrub pocket. Inside pocket if you want to keep it secure. If you put it in one of the leather/leatherette slip cases it won't fall out when you bend over.

Otherwise, the g10 element backplates stick on quite well. They're not likely to come off in regular use. It's not like the suede stickers that you can just peel off. Because the plate is so stiff you have to practically pry the whole thing off at once.

Putting a clip into the attack backplate is a no go. That backplate is plastic and a clip will literally just tear right out of it. The carbon fiber part is just a thin veneer.

Good luck finding a standard element g10 backplate without the clip, they're all discontinued. The clip isn't just screwed into the g10, there are threaded metal inserts.

I'm not sure how you're planning on using it. The clip is not designed to be used as a belt clip. It's more like a knife clip, where the phone is inside of your pocket and the clip just holds it in place.
Partridge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:30 PM   #1835
iOperate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partridge View Post
Just stick it in your scrub pocket. Inside pocket if you want to keep it secure. If you put it in one of the leather/leatherette slip cases it won't fall out when you bend over.

Otherwise, the g10 element backplates stick on quite well. They're not likely to come off in regular use. It's not like the suede stickers that you can just peel off. Because the plate is so stiff you have to practically pry the whole thing off at once.

Putting a clip into the attack backplate is a no go. That backplate is plastic and a clip will literally just tear right out of it. The carbon fiber part is just a thin veneer.

Good luck finding a standard element g10 backplate without the clip, they're all discontinued. The clip isn't just screwed into the g10, there are threaded metal inserts. ImageImage

I'm not sure how you're planning on using it. The clip is not designed to be used as a belt clip. It's more like a knife clip, where the phone is inside of your pocket and the clip just holds it in place.
Ya my plan was to use the special ops elite backplate but use the clip supporting the phone at my side not the inside of pocket with the clip over the edge sitting outside the pocket way it's designed.

If the adhesive is pretty strong this is what I'd prefer and avoid any extra holster on my side.

I guess if it didn't work I could keep the plate which looks pretty sweet, remove the clip and look into separate cases
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1836
Partridge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ya my plan was to use the special ops elite backplate but use the clip supporting the phone at my side not the inside of pocket with the clip over the edge sitting outside the pocket way it's designed.

If the adhesive is pretty strong this is what I'd prefer and avoid any extra holster on my side.

I guess if it didn't work I could keep the plate which looks pretty sweet, remove the clip and look into separate cases
Not a good idea. Seriously. Your phone is facing screen out. Screen damage risk. Even though the adhesive is strong, it's still adhesive and you're still talking about a metal clip that will either bend or break its way out of the G10. The amount of force that you can exert on the phone as it is snagged by one of the many things you encounter in hospitals can be extreme. A stretcher brushing by you is enough to rip something clipped to you side right off. Plastic pager? No problem, it bounces. Phone in a holster, it bounces. Phone on its own? Problem.

How about their rugged case that comes with the plastic belt holster? not as svelte, but hey, safer. Speaking of which, I think that belt holster is compatible with the sector as well. Their site says it comes with adapters for the solace and sector.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:42 AM   #1837
Dino F
macrumors 6502a

Anyone know where I can buy a standard Sector 5 suede back plate? Can't seem to find any anywhere?!!

I'm based in the UK so would rather not order one directly from the U.S. because I am always stung by Custom Charges...!!!!
Dino F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1838
Haru
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino F View Post
Anyone know where I can buy a standard Sector 5 suede back plate? Can't seem to find any anywhere?!!

I'm based in the UK so would rather not order one directly from the U.S. because I am always stung by Custom Charges...!!!!
Waste of money my friend. Don't do it! I've been doing extensive research on Element backplates. The suede followed by the leather is probably the only 2 products from Element, that is sub standard. The suede isn't really suede, not that it matters either way since both can't get wet. The suede back plate attracts dirt, constant cleaning is needed and after a months use - it looks old, dirty and faded. Watch out for the counterfeit ones, even worse with possible sizing too small to cover the entire back.

Plus side - Sounds high end, nice texture and feel out of the packaging.
Down side - You'll be looking for another back plate in a month or so.
Haru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1839
vkuber
macrumors member

The case looks great.

Not really happy with how the 'fabric' or 'inserts' that are inlined into the case stick out on the phone on top. (I've seen this in other photos as well)

Also, I am a very careful person when it comes to my electronics but having the screw already stripped when I took my time following the instructions justifies the price point of this product. It's not for everyone, I understand that but I expect a little more of a quality product.

Really interested to see what the clones feel like that sell on Ebay compared to the real thing because the pictures you see don't do it justice.

Each to their own but going to contact Element and see if they can help me out with the screw that has been stripped and I don't want to make it worse since I can't pull off the case now.
vkuber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:57 AM   #1840
Dino F
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuber View Post
The case looks great.

Not really happy with how the 'fabric' or 'inserts' that are inlined into the case stick out on the phone on top. (I've seen this in other photos as well)

Also, I am a very careful person when it comes to my electronics but having the screw already stripped when I took my time following the instructions justifies the price point of this product. It's not for everyone, I understand that but I expect a little more of a quality product.

Really interested to see what the clones feel like that sell on Ebay compared to the real thing because the pictures you see don't do it justice.

Each to their own but going to contact Element and see if they can help me out with the screw that has been stripped and I don't want to make it worse since I can't pull off the case now.
If you read my post further up (Post #1803 : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...457484&page=73) I have compared my genuine Sector 5 Custom Edition to a fake one which I bought off eBay.

There are some really good copies out there (the fake grey one I purchased was a really good one and fitted really well) and there are some really bad ones (I've purchased one where the metal was such poor quality that you could bend it around with your hands!!)

It really is just pot luck, if you are intending to buy a fake case............
Dino F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:56 PM   #1841
bigjim83
macrumors 6502

I really want one of these cases. Are there any good deals going on?
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:27 PM   #1842
Partridge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuber View Post
The case looks great.

There are 8 screws holding the case together. Remove one of the other ones and you can get your device out. In what way has the screw stripped? is the thread stripped out so the screw just spins, or has the hex head rounded out so the driver doesn't spin the screw?

Once the phone is out of the case, you may find it easier to extract the damaged screw and replace it with one of the spares.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 08:40 AM   #1843
archrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partridge View Post
There are 8 screws holding the case together. Remove one of the other ones and you can get your device out. In what way has the screw stripped? is the thread stripped out so the screw just spins, or has the hex head rounded out so the driver doesn't spin the screw?

Once the phone is out of the case, you may find it easier to extract the damaged screw and replace it with one of the spares.
It may be that the threads in the side or top/bottom pieces may be stripped. The aluminum threads are weaker than the stainless steel screw threads. If thats the case Element could possibly send a new piece.
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:10 AM   #1844
vkuber
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
It may be that the threads in the side or top/bottom pieces may be stripped. The aluminum threads are weaker than the stainless steel screw threads. If thats the case Element could possibly send a new piece.
This is what I did already to remove the case off the phone.

My gripe is how do you center/lineup everything with the iPhone and the case without having the inside rubber/cushioning float on top of the iPhone corners?

I'll post pictures later. It could just be my fault on how I am putting the case onto the phone in general.
vkuber is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories