Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Best 2-4TB External HDD for Time Machine?

Hi,

I have been using a 4TB G Drive RAID connected to my Time Capsule but that's been causing me no end of problems. We have four MacBook Pros in the house, but only mine is connected to an external display.

I was wondering what the best external HDD is for Time Machine? I've decided just to plug it into the back of the display and back up wired as opposed to wirelessly. The other three computers can share the 3TB Time Capsule.

Preferably, it needs to be small, quite and light as I'll be putting it on a stand at the back of my display in my bedroom, so it can't wake me up at night! Connection via FireWire 800 is a must (or Thunderbolt - but I'd doubt I'd find that in my budget!) No USB please.

Also, I'm not sure what capacity to get - I have about 550GBs used on my internal HDD, so I was thinking 2TB to make sure I have some wiggle room for the future.

Thanks for any help!
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I have two Seagate Goflex 2tb drives connected to my mini server via FW800 and they work well. One is used for time machine backups and the other holds all my media files. Very happy with the price/performance. Been running for over a year now with no problems.
glenthompson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Hi,

I have been using a 4TB G Drive RAID connected to my Time Capsule but that's been causing me no end of problems. We have four MacBook Pros in the house, but only mine is connected to an external display.

I was wondering what the best external HDD is for Time Machine? I've decided just to plug it into the back of the display and back up wired as opposed to wirelessly. The other three computers can share the 3TB Time Capsule.

Preferably, it needs to be small, quite and light as I'll be putting it on a stand at the back of my display in my bedroom, so it can't wake me up at night! Connection via FireWire 800 is a must (or Thunderbolt - but I'd doubt I'd find that in my budget!) No USB please.

Also, I'm not sure what capacity to get - I have about 550GBs used on my internal HDD, so I was thinking 2TB to make sure I have some wiggle room for the future.

Thanks for any help!
I always recommend Western Digital drives. They are awesome, reasonably priced, and you can find them not only with firewire 800 but with the other I/O as well.

I have a 1TB Western Digital Firewire 400/usb 2.0/eSATA drive that has never failed and has most recently been used to store my cloned OSes. I also have a 1TB WD firewire 800/usb 2.0/eSATA connected to my wife's iMac for TM and iPhoto storage.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice