Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shayneisspiffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Hi there, I'm a new mac user but have steadily began to get the hang of it.
I recently downloaded the image editing software of Seashore.
Currently I am trying to make a photo black and white apart from a certain part of it that I want to remain the original colour e.g. a black and white photo of someone but their lips remain pink.

I have tried fiddling around with the different layers and erasing part of one layer (black and white) to let the other one come through (the colour layer) but have so far been unsuccessful. The problem seems to be that when I erase something from the top layer it doesn't go transparent so the bottom layer shines through, instead it just turns the deleted areas white.

I have been to the seashore website but have find it very unhelpful. I have come to this forum many times and have always either found the answer I needed or, at the very least, been pointed in the right direction, so fingers crossed someone out there can help me.
Thank you.
Shayne.

Macrovertigo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Vermont/España/etc.
i love seashore ...

Hi maybe I can help, I will try what you describe and then tell you how I got the approximate effect and that may give you an approach. I will do this later though, in the mean time, let me suggest you use iPhoto in combination with seashore for some things - for example, I scale/resize and add text and crop copy paste and all that in seashore, but if I want to tilt the image or make a version in B+W I do that in iPhoto, save that image, export it to desktop, then drag and drop that image to seashore to continue.
In Seashore, when you start a new image, are you directing it to have a transparent background? that is an option that is not selected by default, it is a little obvious check box where it is asking you to create a new image. try that, also, use many many layers as you go along so you can mix them around or otherwise edit them more freely.

This is link to a composite image crafted with seashore and iPhoto that I use for a banner on my blog springfieldvermont.org - More later

SeanAppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If your still wondering....

I have actually done this before and it turns out really nice this way.

1.) open the photo up
2.) duplicate the first layer
3.) make the layer that is on top black and white
4.) with the first layer selected, go to layers, extras, then enable alpha channel
5.) at this point, when you use the eraser tool to erase any part of the B&W layer the color will show through.

Hope this helped! :D

gleeb

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Seashore font colors

Help, I cannot get the font color to be black (it is stuck on white with a slight shadow). I deleted Seashore and downloaded a new copy, but it is still doing it. My clicking on the font palate or color panels (upper right) has no effect. Can anyone advise what has gone wrong and how to fix it? I'm working on 10.8.3.
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.