Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 15, 2013, 07:32 AM   #101
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawbac View Post
Awesome!
So when someone decides to steal your iPhone, they must now use a cigar cutter to cut off your thumb too or the phone is not accessible.
Didn't people say that when pass codes were first introduced?

People said you'd now have a knife pointed at you if you didn't give the code.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #102
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawbac View Post
Awesome!
So when someone decides to steal your iPhone, they must now use a cigar cutter to cut off your thumb too or the phone is not accessible.
When this occurs, I exercise my 2nd Amemdment rights
scapegoat81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 07:58 AM   #103
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat81 View Post
When this occurs, I exercise my 2nd Amemdment rights
Really? you'd be willing to kill someone for taking your phone?

Well that just characterises american society for you. Unless you were referring to the cutting your finger off part.
rovex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 08:24 AM   #104
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanonymousbob View Post
That sounds similar to "you're holding it wrong."
I know.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #105
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Who are these gorilla hands that ruin their home buttons anyway?
My brother-in-law who experienced a spilled drink at a bar with friends and his home button has never been normal again.

Even the Apple store said "we're not fixing that. get a new one."

Weird.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:00 AM   #106
smoledman
macrumors 65816

It's a combination of fingerprint scanner on the home button + iOS 7 API that enables 3rd party apps to use iCloud fingerprint for authentication instead of forcing the user to enter login credentials. This is another game-changer, especially considering how many people are already in the iCloud. Now watch Samsung scramble to release a half-baked implementation of this which will have none of the ecosystem support.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:42 AM   #107
Jvanleuvan
macrumors member

Lot of hate for the mechanical home button.

Anything mechanical is more likely to "break" than something non-mechanical (like capacitive touch)

But, I totally buy what apple is saying about the improved usability of the phone with the mechanical home button. My wife has a HTC One S, it has capacitive home/back buttons, at least once a night she'll be tapping a message on her phone only to yell out "CR@P!" because she accidentally touched the home button and lost her message or exited her game or what-not. It happens to me every time I use her phone (it's aggravated on that phone by the proximity of the capacitive home button to the onscreen keyboard)

IF apple could do a pressure sensitive capacitive home button with haptic feedback, that’d be great, as long as it could prevent the accidental touches that exit you out of your app!
Jvanleuvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #108
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
I'm impressed that Apple finally admitted the old fashioned push button is highly problematic.
You do understand what "rumor" means right? Hopefully you also know what implications there are when you place the term "sketchy" in front the aforementioned "rumor".

Quote:
Conversely, the capacitive buttons I've had over the years on various Android phones have worked perfectly. They've been as reliable as the touchscreen on my iPhones. Not a single failure.
Ignoring accidental presses of course.

Quote:
Another huge advantage is having the identical tactile feed back no matter what you're doing. Unaffected by debris, dust or moisture, they make perfect sense.
I guess no tactile feedback all the time qualifies as identical no matter what you're doing.

Quote:
Once, or if, Apple finally adopts this modern technology the need to buy a new phone just because Apple's button failed, will no longer exist. How sweet!
The vast majority of people replacing iPhones are not doing it because of failed home buttons. This comment makes no sense.

PS: The most popular Android phones (Samsung Galaxy ___) have physical home buttons. Apple may go capacitive at some point, but it's not the slam dunk you think it is.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:01 PM   #109
RVAgaffer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I had the button on my original iphone fail after about a month, it was a material/manufacturer defect not abuse. One of the big problems is that once it starts to get a little off you start to push it harder and harder which probably makes it wear out a faster and faster.

Mechanical switches have a limited cycle life. The electronic switches that nasa has as a standard (the only common electronic device I can point to that has this is the provari electronic cigarette/personal vaporizer) have a much longer life span but a longer 'throw'. Touch sensitive 'buttons' have an almost infinite lifespan.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:29 PM   #110
toaster64
Banned

Quote:
Grime falls under the button. It doesn't break. They supposedly fixed it on the iPhone 5, but my iPhone 4 has the problem. Isopropyl alcohol fixes it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post

Well that just characterises american society for you. Unless you were referring to the cutting your finger off part.
He's willing to kill someone who will kill him to take his phone. If someone was pointing a weapon at me, his safety would be my last concern.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach9 View Post
Just wondering something.

If the home button will now be touch sensitive then wouldn't people accidentally touch it a lot of times? Especially on landscape mode? I don't see that working.
I agree. I hate touch-sensitive buttons. They have those on the Android phones as well as every TV produced nowadays; I've tried them, and it's a pain.
toaster64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:03 PM   #111
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post

I don't care what they're trying to take from me. If they're willing to pull a gun, knife, cigar cutter, etc. on me for my phone or any other of my personal possessions...... Well, use your imagination. It's called defending yourself

Lets stay on topic...
scapegoat81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:13 AM   #112
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Really don't buy this one at all. Sapphire? Aren't iOS devices expensive enough as it is?
Sapphire glass is a synthetic material used for its scratch resistance. It's not the same as the precious sapphire stones used in jewelry.

The iPhone 5 already uses this material to cover the rear camera lens. It won't be something that would change the phone's pricing.
fsck-y dingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:24 AM   #113
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAgaffer View Post
Touch sensitive 'buttons' have an almost infinite lifespan.
They also don't provide tactile feedback though, at least until a good haptic touch technology is put into these devices.

It's bad enough typing on a touch screen (or God forbid, trying to play something like Street Fighter) but having no physical buttons on a smartphone or tablet annoys me.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:06 PM   #114
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
I don't have a problem with a home button as such, I just don't like the current design. It's old, it's dated and it spoils the looks of the gorgeous iPhone 5 IMHO.

I wouldn't mind something like the home button on the S4 - wider, slimer and flush with the surface of the device. I would prefer a capacitive home button if they could do it right as like you I've had problems with them in the past.

I was just reading how Apple have a tap to select patent so that would seem a good option. A flush sapphire chrystal "button" that you tap rather than press but has the same affect. As long as it not big and round I would be happy with that.
Interesting, I see what you mean. I've tried my wife's S3 and I am not a fan of the home button on it. It's too flush for my taste.
Old May 16, 2013, 04:09 PM   #115
Mago
macrumors 6502a

Maybe here is a misunderstood.

Years later, some home button concepts appear, the most commented was one with "gestures", basically a home button with a capacitive trackpad (as on blackberrys), very useful for gestures to go-back, next, cursor control, etc. Adding to such trackpad a fingerprint sensor not a big deal and has sense because enable to feel if the finger is alive and read it print. BOTH CONCEPT DON'T IMPLIES TO ABANDON THE CLICK ACTION (as many know Blackberries uses a capacitive trackpad with click action).

So Welcome the New Home Button (While it Keeps Clickable)....
Mago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 09:15 PM   #116
robert01001
macrumors newbie

anyone?

Quote:
um... anyone who's ever used an iPhone daily....
robert01001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:12 AM   #117
dazed
macrumors 6502a

I'm still using my 3GS and my home button is fine (and I don't treat it gently).

Guess by making the subsequent phones thinner they made them more delicate.
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:44 AM   #118
RVAgaffer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
They also don't provide tactile feedback though, at least until a good haptic touch technology is put into these devices.

It's bad enough typing on a touch screen (or God forbid, trying to play something like Street Fighter) but having no physical buttons on a smartphone or tablet annoys me.
very true. but there are pros and cons to every system. with the electrical type switches you can get long lifespan and tactile feedback, but you have to sacrifice a long 'throw'

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion