Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
The NUCs are great for certain uses. I have deployed many as silent, low-cost Hyper-V branch office servers that are non-critical.

As a workstation, they still leave a bit to be desired - not enough ports and the USB3 models still aren't out yet. Gigabyte has the BRIX coming out that should remedy that.

I agree about not enough ports. Although I have not found a computer in existance that has enough ports for me, so that's a moot point. I *always* need a hub anyway.

But regards USB 3.0, you are mistaken. The DC53427HYE NUC has USB 3.0 and is readily available.

(I am beginning to sound like a NUC sales rep. I don't even own one!)

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Contempt? I thought I answered the question pretty civilly [and honestly]. If anything, I was the one attacked earlier for even considering such an idea. Don't take it personally, it's just an OS. People use what works for them, OS X doesn't work for me, which is the reason for my initial post.

Cheers ;)
My "contempt" reaction came when you ended your answer with "Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear". In reality, all I DID want to hear was your reasoning. No big deal.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Why are you so bent on windows 8? It's the most hated Microsoft OS since Vista release. It makes no sense at all to want a mac mini running win 8 only.

Have you even used Windows 8? I have Windows 8 on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I run Windows programs when I need the Windows application, and I use Mac programs every other time. I just don't think you know what you're talking about in regards to how Windows 8 feels. You're basing your feelings on speculation and bias.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I actually bought a mini just to runWin8. I like Win8 (with Start8) and enjoy it alot. nI never planned on using OSX at all. But since I could not get BooCamp to work, I tried OSX as I needed to be online. YThen I further used it and set it up as if it was my only computer.

Win8 was running badly, but that is because I had messed it up before I migrated it to Parallels. So no surprise that it was still buggy.

And then I found the weirdest conflict I have ever found. My speaker was trying to connect to my phone or mini by bluetooth and was "stuck" at some point. I only accidentally stumbled across this by chance. Once I told the speaker to Forget this Connection I was a very happy person. In the meantime I had done a pure and fresh install of Win8 (which was one of the main points of this whole process) and that worked so well I decided to forgo Boot Camp and do my business from Parallels. I am happily surprised at the speed and smoothness of how it works. Nicely done Parallels.

And so now my experience of OSX is not so much based in prejudice, but I still do like Windows 8 better. I like the more modern interface, even though I am not a total fanboy of the Flat Concept, I do think they did some very good work regarding design/UI.

So get that mini and enjoy the hell out of Windows 8 on it. You will be very happy you did.

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
USA
So get that mini and enjoy the hell out of Windows 8 on it. You will be very happy you did.

Dave, planning on it, thanks for your input :cool:. As soon as the Haswell version hits I'll be first in line for at least one quad-core version w/16gb ram :D.

Popped in my own 256 GB ssd from my previous system and bumped the ram to 16 GB. The i7 mini runs Hyper-V like a champ with this config - I can virtualize an entire server farm with ease under Win8.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I plan on running Hyper-V as well and glad to hear such a glowing review (same config that I plan on having).

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
When I bought mine a month ago I figured it could be as long as 6 months and was not willing to wait. I think mine will still be very saleable and will be buying that one for sure. Especially if it has the new PCIe SSD!

I have 16GB with a OCZ Vector 512GB. This thing is WAY Faster than my core i7 desktop with same drive. Cannot explain but it is.

Now I think I need to check out Hyper V. Is it better than parallels??

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Have you even used Windows 8? I have Windows 8 on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I run Windows programs when I need the Windows application, and I use Mac programs every other time. I just don't think you know what you're talking about in regards to how Windows 8 feels. You're basing your feelings on speculation and bias.

Actually, like the vast majority of people that need to use a modern version of windows, I use windows 7 if windows is required. Windows 8 is a horribly counter-intuitive OS. It's cluttered, disorganized and generally lacking. It's really suited for a tablet market as it was marketed. If any of the IT people I interact with on a regular basis said they recommended a client adopt windows 8, I'd probably recommend they lose their job.

Quite simply, windows 8 is horrible. Windows 7 was a solid OS, I'm not a fan of it but I wouldn't fault a private user or business for using it. You're in a miniscule minority to indicate a preference for Windows 8 vs any other OS used by a large number of people.

I'm not sure where a person would ever want to use windows 8. If I needed a tablet, I'd look at android and iOS. If I needed a desktop, I'd look at adopting any recent version of OSX, several incarnations of Linux or Windows 7. The random win 8 fanboy-ism that cropped up in this thread was so shocking that many posters were immediately convinced this was just a troll thread. That's how outrageous your preference of windows 8 is.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
It may not be a big issue to you, but I would not recommend removing OS X completely as this is the only way to update the firmware on a Mac.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Windows8 + Start8 = Windows7. I know because that's what I run in a Parallels vm.

Actually that is incorrect.

Windows 8 + Start8 = Windows 8 + Start8

There are many other things besides the start menu that make Windows 8 different than Windows 7.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Actually, like the vast majority of people that need to use a modern version of windows, I use windows 7 if windows is required. Windows 8 is a horribly counter-intuitive OS. It's cluttered, disorganized and generally lacking. It's really suited for a tablet market as it was marketed. If any of the IT people I interact with on a regular basis said they recommended a client adopt windows 8, I'd probably recommend they lose their job.

Quite simply, windows 8 is horrible. Windows 7 was a solid OS, I'm not a fan of it but I wouldn't fault a private user or business for using it. You're in a miniscule minority to indicate a preference for Windows 8 vs any other OS used by a large number of people.

I'm not sure where a person would ever want to use windows 8. If I needed a tablet, I'd look at android and iOS. If I needed a desktop, I'd look at adopting any recent version of OSX, several incarnations of Linux or Windows 7. The random win 8 fanboy-ism that cropped up in this thread was so shocking that many posters were immediately convinced this was just a troll thread. That's how outrageous your preference of windows 8 is.

I'm an early adopter. I use new things and I'm not afraid of change. I need to be an early adopter as a developer. I also didn't say I prefer Windows 8 over any other OS. I said I use it and I like it. It is Windows 7 with benefits of speed improvements. I'm on Windows 8 and Mountain Lion. IT professionals don't request someone to be fired over an OS preference.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Actually that is incorrect.

Windows 8 + Start8 = Windows 8 + Start8

There are many other things besides the start menu that make Windows 8 different than Windows 7.

Actually, what I wrote is correct.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Maybe in your warped reality. Putting a start menu back in Windows 8 does not make it Windows 7. It merely makes it Windows 8 with a start menu.

Changing a 7 to an 8 does not make it a new os.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
I agree about not enough ports. Although I have not found a computer in existance that has enough ports for me, so that's a moot point. I *always* need a hub anyway.

But regards USB 3.0, you are mistaken. The DC53427HYE NUC has USB 3.0 and is readily available.

(I am beginning to sound like a NUC sales rep. I don't even own one!)

Thanks Chippy! Good to know. Amazon doesn't appear to have this model yet. I went ahead and ordered some BRIX to set up as workstations for some clients - only two usb ports but they are usb3 with an i3 for under $300 - and pairing them with a usb keyboard with a built-in 2 port hub so should suffice for office work.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
OK Apple fanboys, get ready to laugh at me. If you want a mini-priced Windows 8 machine that is not too stupidly huge and will work for a long while try the top Acer Veriton 4. It's in their "Professional" section.

Here's the deal. The 3.4GHz quad i7 is a real desktop CPU so it will run circles around a mini 2.6. I comes with a 1TB real 7200RPM desktop drive, has four USB2 and 4USB3 ports, has limited PCI slots, Intel HD 4000 graphics, a three-year warranty and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

We use W7 32-bit ones at work, they just keep cranking all day long, many of them 24-7. No medial slots, no awesome gamerboy lighting, no shiny plastic. Veritons are reliable, business machines for grownups.

Sure minis are great. I've got one myself. For a real, no compromised Windows 8 machine at a reasonable price I would take a Veriton over a mini any day.

PS. Next choice, without personal experience, is the newly released HP ProDesk 600 or EliteDesk 800. They've got 4th gen i7s and HD 4600 graphics.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
OK Apple fanboys, get ready to laugh at me. If you want a mini-priced Windows 8 machine that is not too stupidly huge and will work for a long while try the top Acer Veriton 4. It's in their "Professional" section.

Here's the deal. The 3.4GHz quad i7 is a real desktop CPU so it will run circles around a mini 2.6. I comes with a 1TB real 7200RPM desktop drive, has four USB2 and 4USB3 ports, has limited PCI slots, Intel HD 4000 graphics, a three-year warranty and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

We use W7 32-bit ones at work, they just keep cranking all day long, many of them 24-7. No medial slots, no awesome gamerboy lighting, no shiny plastic. Veritons are reliable, business machines for grownups.

Sure minis are great. I've got one myself. For a real, no compromised Windows 8 machine at a reasonable price I would take a Veriton over a mini any day.

PS. Next choice, without personal experience, is the newly released HP ProDesk 600 or EliteDesk 800. They've got 4th gen i7s and HD 4600 graphics.

Does this fit in carry on luggage and fit in the overhead locker in a plane (does it weigh less than the Mac mini?). Thanks.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Does this fit in carry on luggage and fit in the overhead locker in a plane (does it weigh less than the Mac mini?). Thanks.

Yes is could easily fit in overhead luggage. No it does not weigh less than a mini due to the fact that its a real desktop computer.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I'm sure the specs are available on their website.

I know because I looked at it - was just pointing out that there is no alternative to the Mac mini..... I do travel at times and size/weight is important. (using wireless KB, mouse and using firm's monitor or hotel's TV - hdmi). Mac mini is almost bullet proof unlike the laptops I used to lug around (about 20 of them over the years) plus a third of the weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.