Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
daveishere
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
PowerNap on Fusion Drive Equipped 27" '12 iMac

Sorry if this has been asked before but...

will powernap be a feature on the new iMacs with fusion drive installed? I'm pretty sure Apple only includes this feature on machines with SSD's or power/noise reasons.

Surely (due to the price of the fusion drive) it should?
__________________
2012 iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7/16GB RAM/1TB Fusion Drive
2012 13" MacBook Air, 2GHz i7 Ivy Bridge, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.
iPhone 5 64GB Black & Slate.
iPad mini 64GB Black & Slate.
daveishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #2
wehokev
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Sadly, no.

According to this Apple Support Document...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394?v...S&locale=en_US

... only recent model laptops will support the power nap feature. I don't know why.

I have a 27 iMac (late 2012) with a fusion drive on order. I was especially looking forward to having my Photostream update while my iMac is sleeping. But I guess that is not going to happen.

You might want to check this thread too:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18776814#18776814
wehokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
mateo124
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Nevermind, I guess it doesn't..
mateo124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4
MeFromHere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehokev View Post
According to this Apple Support Document...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394?v...S&locale=en_US

... only recent model laptops will support the power nap feature. I don't know why.

I have a 27 iMac (late 2012) with a fusion drive on order. I was especially looking forward to having my Photostream update while my iMac is sleeping. But I guess that is not going to happen.

You might want to check this thread too:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18776814#18776814
"Last Modified: Sep 20, 2012"

This document wouldn't mention 2012 iMacs whether they support Power Nap or not, since it was released before the iMacs.
MeFromHere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
southerndoc
macrumors 6502a
 
southerndoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA
Suggest it at apple.com/feedback.
southerndoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
wehokev
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromHere View Post
"Last Modified: Sep 20, 2012"

This document wouldn't mention 2012 iMacs whether they support Power Nap or not, since it was released before the iMacs.
Excellent point. Mine is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to find out. Thanks.
wehokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:18 PM   #7
SBruv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Or we could just ask someone with a 2012 iMac to check in their Energy Saver preferences. If it supports Power Nap, the Power Nap option will be there.

SBruv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruv View Post
Or we could just ask someone with a 2012 iMac to check in their Energy Saver preferences. If it supports Power Nap, the Power Nap option will be there.

Sadly, no, it is not.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:46 PM   #9
SBruv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
Sadly, no, it is not.
You've got a Fusion Drive model, presumably, right?
SBruv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
HunterMaximus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Power Nap requires being able to run the machine without running the fans or a spinning disk. Given that the iMac uses more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it's likely that it's not safe from a thermal perspective to run it without the fan for any amount of time. Furthermore, Fusion drives require both the SSD and HDD to be active, which also eliminates the iMac (at least non-SSD only models) from Power Nap eligibility.
HunterMaximus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruv View Post
You've got a Fusion Drive model, presumably, right?
Yes, I have a 1TB fusion model:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 10.07.24 PM.png
Views:	65
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	384284  
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:41 AM   #12
SpecAU
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I had my 21" fusion hibernate the other night. It was strange. I let it sit for a out 8 hours while I was away. I couldn't remember if I turned it off or not when I got home. A mouse movement or click and a keyboard mash failed to wake it so I turned off the wall outlet.

Next morning when I turned the wall on. Hit the power button and it instantly went to the desktop all previous apps and websites open instantly! No boot up, no chime. Up in 2 seconds flat!
SpecAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:39 PM   #13
wehokev
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMaximus View Post
Power Nap requires being able to run the machine without running the fans or a spinning disk. Given that the iMac uses more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it's likely that it's not safe from a thermal perspective to run it without the fan for any amount of time. Furthermore, Fusion drives require both the SSD and HDD to be active, which also eliminates the iMac (at least non-SSD only models) from Power Nap eligibility.
I am not concerned about the noise. My iMac is located in my home office. The single thing that I really wanted was an automatic update of my PhotoStream in iPhoto. I guess I'll have to find or make an automated script to do it. Sounds like a project for the weekend.
wehokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PowerNap on iMac 2012 (Mavericks and Hard Drive) domdom83 iMac 2 Oct 24, 2013 12:46 AM
Anyone have no problems on 27" iMac with Fusion Drive? MrPeelNZ iMac 10 Jan 26, 2013 05:06 PM
iMac 21.5" with/without Fusion Drive + additional Ram aaronoafc iMac 3 Jan 26, 2013 06:43 AM
21" fusion drive imac experiences yet? chfilm iMac 11 Dec 8, 2012 11:18 PM
Fusion Drive for 27" iMac NoShoreGuy iMac 1 Nov 4, 2012 03:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC