Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

leapmotionhand.jpg
The New York Times
is planning to release a gesture-based news app for the Leap Motion, reports TechCrunch. Leap Motion, which is set to be released later this month, is a touch-free device that is designed to allow users to control their computers via hand gestures in three dimensions. With the NYT app, readers will be able to browse and scroll through articles with hand movements.
In the case of The Times' app, users should be able to browse articles by moving their hands left and right. Headlines, images, and summaries will be presented in a card format, and if you see something that interests you, you tap on the card to read the full article. You then scroll through the article by making a circular motion, and you shake your hand to return to the Top News menu.
According to Paul Smurl, NYT general manager of core digital products, the Leap Motion app is targeted at early adopters "that are obviously very influential and can make or break a trend." The app doesn't include integration with the company's subscription system and it will only focus on top stories in the beginning, but if it proves to be popular with users it could be improved in the future.
The Leap Motion controller, Smurl said, "is much more fine-tuned and sensitive to hand and finger motions than some of the competing technologies out there. ... It has enough fine motor sensitivity that a reading experience is enabled and it's pretty damn good."
After a delay of several months, the Leap Motion is set to ship on July 22 and can currently be preordered from the website for $79.99. The app will be available on the same day from the Leap Motion Airspace Store, which will include a number of other offerings.

Article Link: New York Times Developing Gesture-Based News App for Leap Motion

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
This device is evil. Just thinking about it's possibilities makes me want to buy an iMac a year before I planned.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This device is evil.

OK, I'll bite...why is it evil?

In the service of full disclosure, I don't know diddley about the device, aside from what is stated in the article. Although I don't feel a desperate the device, I'm interested in why you dislike it...er...intensely?

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010

In the service of full disclosure, I don't know diddley about the device, aside from what is stated in the article. Although I don't feel a desperate the device, I'm interested in why you dislike it...er...intensely?

You should google it and check out some videos demonstrating it- it's the exact opposite of evil.

The first responder is probably one of those people who you would have to pry a keyboard and mouse out of their cold dead hands. Like conservatives with guns.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
so like how silly people look when playing on the Wii and Kinect, they can now look silly in front of the computer?

cool.:D

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011

lol quite the opposite really. I just would really like to have something like this to navigate an iMac when I get one. I want to try it out but it wouldn't make as much sense with a portable computer and I wanted to wait and get my iMac when I start my Bachelor's next year (bfa graphic design).

rloechner

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2007
Is it July 22nd yet? Ship those puppies already! I can not wait until my Leap Motion arrives! This thing looks so awesome! :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
lol quite the opposite really. I just would really like to have something like this to navigate an iMac when I get one. I want to try it out but it wouldn't make as much sense with a portable computer and I wanted to wait and get my iMac when I start my Bachelor's next year (bfa graphic design).

Interested to read you're comment about portable devices (e.g.MBP)...even less need for me to have one. But I can understand where those with "stationary" devices might have some interest.

Thanks for taking the time to explain....:D

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
This is very promising for health care industry. Infection control is an important part of what I do and it would be a godsend for me not to touch any computer peripheral to control it. Maybe not to type, but to replace the mouse would be enough.

Do you guys think it will be available in Best Buy by early Aug? Or it is strictly pre-order. I'm visiting the US so I'm hoping I could score one.

EDIT: I answered my own question: According to Leap Motion forum, on shelves July 28th.

Last edited:

quaternio

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I preordered this, and the company has already authorized the funds from my account (though they haven't actually charged it yet).

I figured I'd give it a shot given it's relatively low price (my keyboard is more expensive). The potential seems exciting, having seen several of the demos. Even so, I haven't seen a lot of interesting software for it yet, but basically every developer I've asked or seen asked has said they're playing with the dev kit.

Ragweedd

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
Leap motion is shipping

My leap motion sensor was shipped yesterday and should arrive early next week.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX

HP signed a multimillion dollar deal with them (something Apple should have done...) and they are integrating Leap Motion on all their laptops from August 2013 and on.

Google Leap Motion HP

----------

I have one of their pre-release versions as we have been working on some tools that will use this controller as its principal device.

I have to say that the device is right on awesome. The Kinect lets you control games with your limbs... Leap motion sits in front of your desk, and you can control things with your fingers, hands and wrist movements.

It is pretty slick.

millk18

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Is it July 22nd yet? Ship those puppies already! I can not wait until my Leap Motion arrives! This thing looks so awesome! :)

Just got mine delivered. Went to the webpage to activate and... "Please come back on July 22nd to download the softwareand get started with your Leap Motion Controller."

<sigh>

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Got mine over the weekend, downloaded the software this morning, Win7 pro 64bit, i7 3.5Ghz Haswell, 16Gb Ram, and... fail. Installed s/w then plugged in the Leap when it showed the picture of the device and the plug, USB is recognized as "Cypress Bootloader", the Leap LED is off, dead in the water.

The box had nothing in the way of instructions, the 30min download had "check these tips while waiting", only the screen was blank...

I called tech support, and to my surprise a super nice guy answered, very articulate and knowledgeable, told me that this was a known issue and that they would be sending me a patch, hopefully later today. I asked how it was supposed to work/what to expect and he described how he was using it on his work PC right then, never needs to use the mouse with the free "Touchless for PC" app. He went on to describe how he uses it at home with a long cord to his HT PC to surf Netflix. It has the resolution to work with subtle finger movements.

So while my out-of-the-box experience was lost-in-the-woods, I'm optimistic that it will be fun to use, hopefully soon!

Last edited:

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Been playing with mine for an hour or so…..very cool…
Can't wait for their App store to take off now!….
Always something…….

rMBP 13" 2.5GHz i5 8GB Ram…..

Runs very well though some apps really bring up the heat….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.