Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
syrcular
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Buy now at good price or wait for new MacBook Air

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered, but I was not able to find any definitive thoughts on this.

I recently took advantage of the sale price of a MacBook Air Mid 2012 1.8GHz i5 with 256GB Flash Storage for $1299 at Best Buy. It was on sale as it's regular price is $1399.
I literally bought the last of this model in the LA area, and am starting to hear ramblings of the new MacBook Airs on the horizon for WWDC.
I bought this machine as a internet, word doc, occasional light photo organizing, machine for basic needs, and to have a very portable computer I could use around the house, and on the go, in addition to my main machine which is a top of the line MacBook Pro which for the most part stays stationary at my office and does all the power housing.

So I bought this machine more for the portably and value being that it was on sale and performance was not a top priority since I have another machine that facilitates that.

However with the new machines around the corner...should I have waited for the new Airs to arrive? I could still return this one and get my money back and wait, however I heard besides the process speeds, the new airs probably won't be too significant of a boost to what I have now, which is the 1.8GHz i5 with 4GB RAM and 256GB Flash Storage.
Again for basic consumer level use. Should I return this thing and wait or did I make a good buy?

Would love your opinions. Thanks!
syrcular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Laco
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrcular View Post
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered, but I was not able to find any definitive thoughts on this.

I recently took advantage of the sale price of a MacBook Air Mid 2012 1.8GHz i5 with 256GB Flash Storage for $1299 at Best Buy. It was on sale as it's regular price is $1399.
I literally bought the last of this model in the LA area, and am starting to hear ramblings of the new MacBook Airs on the horizon for WWDC.
I bought this machine as a internet, word doc, occasional light photo organizing, machine for basic needs, and to have a very portable computer I could use around the house, and on the go, in addition to my main machine which is a top of the line MacBook Pro which for the most part stays stationary at my office and does all the power housing.

So I bought this machine more for the portably and value being that it was on sale and performance was not a top priority since I have another machine that facilitates that.

However with the new machines around the corner...should I have waited for the new Airs to arrive? I could still return this one and get my money back and wait, however I heard besides the process speeds, the new airs probably won't be too significant of a boost to what I have now, which is the 1.8GHz i5 with 4GB RAM and 256GB Flash Storage.
Again for basic consumer level use. Should I return this thing and wait or did I make a good buy?

Would love your opinions. Thanks!

Personally, I would return it. Usually I don't think it is a good idea to wait but since it is so close to an EXPECTED update and you don't seem to "need" it right now I would wait. Besides a 100 dollars off is not an amazing deal.
Laco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
tooobe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
The new theoretical Macbook Air should have a Intel Haswell CPU which is 15W instead of the current 17W if i'm not mistaken. It should also have a significantly more powerful integrated GPU. All this should equate to either a lot more performance at the same power consumption/battery life OR similar performance as the current specs with a lot longer battery life and less heat generated. Either way, it's going to be a pretty big deal in terms of an upgrade.
tooobe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jensen Beach FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooobe View Post
The new theoretical Macbook Air should have a Intel Haswell CPU which is 15W instead of the current 17W if i'm not mistaken. It should also have a significantly more powerful integrated GPU. All this should equate to either a lot more performance at the same power consumption/battery life OR similar performance as the current specs with a lot longer battery life and less heat generated. Either way, it's going to be a pretty big deal in terms of an upgrade.
All this. This new product cycle could be significant for the Air line.
Scrub175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrcular View Post
I literally bought the last of this model in the LA p
Is that what the salesman told u?

For what u need, what u currently have is more than enough. U could had gone for a 2011 and even that can do the job.

So new one around the corner, plan for 20% performance increase.

Heck if u don't need it right away, once the new one comes, 2012 models should drop$.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
syrcular
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
It wasnt necessarily what the salesperson told me, but I when I was checking stock of where I could by the specific model I wanted, almost all the stores in the area were out of stock, and Amazon had 4-5 week wait listed on their site.

I think you're absolutely right from a current performance stand point, for what I need this particular machine to do, which is be my "consumer" read email, watch occasional web videos, surf the internet, work on documents, edit photos in Lightroom...all seem to work pretty speedily on this machine so far, from what I can see. I'm actually using this as almost a replacement to my iPad, which currently sit on my nightstand collecting dust.

But from an invest stand point I was curious if waiting and getting the latest and greatest MacBook Air in June, would be a better investment since it's so close to release.

But either way...you are right...even a 2011 machine would probably work just fine for my needs. I have a maxed out MacBook Pro which is currently my power house machine, and handles all my heavy lifting....

But I'm still open to thoughts, as I'm still in the window of being able to return it, if needed....just trying to make the best investment decision on this recent purchase...
syrcular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Isamilis
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Return it and wait for the new 2013. You will not lose opportunity to get the cheap 2012 version (because they will get cheaper later) and you still have opportunity to consider the new 2013 (new features vs its full price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrcular View Post
It wasnt necessarily what the salesperson told me, but I when I was checking stock of where I could by the specific model I wanted, almost all the stores in the area were out of stock, and Amazon had 4-5 week wait listed on their site.

I think you're absolutely right from a current performance stand point, for what I need this particular machine to do, which is be my "consumer" read email, watch occasional web videos, surf the internet, work on documents, edit photos in Lightroom...all seem to work pretty speedily on this machine so far, from what I can see. I'm actually using this as almost a replacement to my iPad, which currently sit on my nightstand collecting dust.

But from an invest stand point I was curious if waiting and getting the latest and greatest MacBook Air in June, would be a better investment since it's so close to release.

But either way...you are right...even a 2011 machine would probably work just fine for my needs. I have a maxed out MacBook Pro which is currently my power house machine, and handles all my heavy lifting....

But I'm still open to thoughts, as I'm still in the window of being able to return it, if needed....just trying to make the best investment decision on this recent purchase...
Isamilis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 02:24 PM   #8
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Is that what the salesman told u?

For what u need, what u currently have is more than enough. U could had gone for a 2011 and even that can do the job.

So new one around the corner, plan for 20% performance increase.

Heck if u don't need it right away, once the new one comes, 2012 models should drop$.

you not u
racer1441 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
LeeM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
dont you know any students? you'll get more than $100 discount with their discount. return it
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
If you can catch it on the refurbished store, you would save between $200 and $300 for that model. If you don't need the computer now, return it if you want and wait.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Badrottie
macrumors 68020
 
Badrottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
do you need a retina display? if so then return it back.
__________________
That is OK to make fun of my poor english grammars just because you are bullying deaf people.
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Grove86
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie View Post
do you need a retina display? if so then return it back.
Is retina display even coming to MBA? Also is the design expected to be refreshed or just the spec? Just wondering.
Grove86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 10:27 PM   #13
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove86 View Post
Is retina display even coming to MBA? Also is the design expected to be refreshed or just the spec? Just wondering.
nobody knows, but i imagine the consensus is that no - it's very unlikely that retina is coming to the MBA.
DisplacedMic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:37 PM   #14
tooobe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooobe View Post
The new theoretical Macbook Air should have a Intel Haswell CPU which is 15W instead of the current 17W if i'm not mistaken. It should also have a significantly more powerful integrated GPU. All this should equate to either a lot more performance at the same power consumption/battery life OR similar performance as the current specs with a lot longer battery life and less heat generated. Either way, it's going to be a pretty big deal in terms of an upgrade.


Could my prediction have been any more correct?
tooobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:49 PM   #15
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooobe View Post
Could my prediction have been any more correct?
Not really a prediction - it was fairly obvious the new Air would be like that as we all knew that those were the characteristics of Haswell.

Unless you called out the price drop and the dual mics, your comment was nothing impressive, sorry.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:16 PM   #16
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooobe View Post
Could my prediction have been any more correct?
....or more what most people were saying?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install SSD OR Buy Macbook Air OR Wait? nazedayo Buying Tips and Advice 36 Dec 10, 2013 12:49 AM
MacBook Pro: Buy (special price) or Wait Handzy MacBook Pro 11 Jul 25, 2013 06:03 PM
Buy MacBook Air now or wait until June for refresh? mackcat MacBook Air 26 May 15, 2013 11:58 AM
Should I wait for the MacBook Air early 2013, or buy one now. FatGuy007 MacBook Air 55 Dec 14, 2012 01:13 PM
Should I buy the 2012 MacBook Air 11" or wait for 2013? AdrainSingapore MacBook Air 27 Nov 4, 2012 01:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC