Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nis74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hello folks, completely new to this arena so I hope you can pardon my ignorance and have patience with my questions.

What I want to know - is there an easy step by step guide to installing an SSD onto my Apple TV 1st gen. I'm really keen on reducing the heat from this box (I just can't live it anymore - annoying the hell out of me :eek: ).

I have an ATV1 with BDCH card and running HDD installed CrystalBuntu for XBMC. Very pleased with everything ...... except the heat?

My only other avaiable computer is my wife's Windows PC (though I'm trying to raise funds for a nice Mac Mini at some point in the future...)

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Nis74

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Truth is the drive isn't the main source of heat. Expensive way to get not much in terms of results. The heat is due to the ineffective fan and the fact that the top of the atv is a huge heat sink. its designed that way.

I have two atv's 1 with a stock drive the other with an card in place of the drive that converts to a esata and it runs an external 2 GB as its main drive (ie. there is no internal hard drive in the atv). The modded one runs as hot as the one with the stock internal drive. Just my .02

Nis74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Truth is the drive isn't the main source of heat. Expensive way to get not much in terms of results...............

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I have noticed on YouTube that certain people dispense with the fan + hdd altogether and boot from USB. I'm not sure I want to do this.

I will say this though, I like the fact the fact the HDD install C't'l'buntu allows you to turn off the machine without losing any settings + add ons etc. I used to go through the whole ridiculousness of tethered boot ups on my atv2.

So far, I'd say the Atv 1 with BCHD + Crystalbuntu knocks spots off the newer box.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I have noticed on YouTube that certain people dispense with the fan + hdd altogether and boot from USB. I'm not sure I want to do this.

I will say this though, I like the fact the fact the HDD install C't'l'buntu allows you to turn off the machine without losing any settings + add ons etc. I used to go through the whole ridiculousness of tethered boot ups on my atv2.

So far, I'd say the Atv 1 with BCHD + Crystalbuntu knocks spots off the newer box.

Correct on all accounts. With a Broadcom CHD running linux and xbmc it kicks the snot out of the other two atv gens frankly. My atv 3 is in its box in the closet.

I wouldn't recommend removing the fan if you don't have to, that said my fan on my first (the eSata modded atv) blew its bearings about a hear and a half ago. I simply removed it and there have been no heat related issues whatsoever though imo if your fan is fine there is no downside to leaving it in.

Also I do agree crystalbuntu is much better installed on the hdd. Personally I run my own rev of atv (linux) xbmc but Sam does an excellent job with Crystalbuntu.

Personally I wouldn't mess with it hardware wise, if the fan borks just open it up and yank it out. Carry on.

Nis74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Correct on all accounts. With a Broadcom CHD running linux and xbmc it kicks the snot out of the other two atv gens frankly. My atv 3 is in its box in the closet.

Personally I wouldn't mess with it hardware wise, if the fan borks just open it up and yank it out. Carry on.

Dyna,

Thanks for the advice - I've only really modded the ATV1 a few days ago and I'm loving it more and more each day.

Next objective - I really would like to sell all my PC + peripherals and get a nice Mac Mini - new baby recently so that means less space, and I've plain had it with hulking big windows tower. A new MM would be nice, but as an offshoot of my current situation - the wife would like a new TV in the bedroom, so I was thinking of getting an additional MM to the 'family' one and using it as an HTPC - some older Core 2 Duos seem quite resonably priced these days, and to run XBMC spec-wise would be overkill, so there should be no hardware issues. What do you think?

I've had G-boxes and the like before, but I just can't go that 'cheap' again after the ATV1 - if you get me.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Hey Dyna - can the Linux version of Plex run on your ATV?

Hey Cave - dunno never tried. Maybe.

My setup has a full build environment so I actually download and compile xbmc (linux) right on the atv itself. Works pretty nifty so when a new rev comes out I just git pull, compile and install then reboot.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
the wife would like a new TV in the bedroom, so I was thinking of getting an additional MM to the 'family' one and using it as an HTPC - some older Core 2 Duos seem quite resonably priced these days, and to run XBMC spec-wise would be overkill, so there should be no hardware issues. What do you think?
Um, well if your asking what I think I guess in my case I have three atv 1's and if its just for watching tv ... I dunno that a mac mini isn't a bit overkill, but that up to you. You can still get atv 1's on ebay etc. though I have not checked on the current pricing. But yeah, I guess an older c2d mac mini would be just fine.

Personally for me a chd modded atv 1 running linux xbmc is the best way to go. that said once you chd mod it you have to have ethernet which is a downside maybe in your case guessing that it would be hard to get ethernet to the new bedroom tv.

Nis74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
... I dunno that a mac mini isn't a bit overkill,............. that said once you chd mod it you have to have ethernet which is a downside maybe in your case guessing that it would be hard to get ethernet to the new bedroom tv.

Well - the MM would just bring a few different options to the table as well as XBMC - as for ethernet.... Plug Kits!! Heaven sent - God bless whoever came up with that idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.