Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gordonhbm

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Apple Releases Aperture 3.4.5 with Import and Memory Card Bug Fixes

Twistedpanties
Thanks for your posts on the way you handle imports and your preferred hierarchy. I found this very helpful.

I am now in the position that I have nearly filled my ssd (256GB) on my Mackbook air. I need to set up an external drive for my masters. Unfortunately I have not been anything like as sensible as you in my hierarchy and although I have probably about 30k of images - all jpg's - i would like to adapt your methods.

Should I set about renaming masters before changing from managed to referenced for the masters? This looks a massive task to me. I am not even sure how to establish exactly what hierarchy I have been using!

Is there a way that I could set up what I want in the aperture library and then have aperture/apple/iphoto use this to rename my masters and then set up my referenced masters on another, external, disc?

I would also be interested to see how you have your library set out in aperture.
I look forward to any advice from you and other members of the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.