Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Baklava
macrumors 6502

Downgrade to 10.8

Just in case that something gets weird: can I downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain Lion? Will my mailboxes work properly?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
stephenxiii
macrumors regular

instal on a separate partition
stephenxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3
bibyfok
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
Just in case that something gets weird: can I downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain Lion? Will my mailboxes work properly?
Not Downgrade, you can format and restore from a backup. If so, and if you use IMAP or Exchange, yes your mailbox will be identical
bibyfok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Baklava
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibyfok View Post
Not Downgrade, you can format and restore from a backup. If so, and if you use IMAP or Exchange, yes your mailbox will be identical
Thanks. But the local mailboxes on my Mac will be unusable right?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

Just create a backup on an external drive. If something goes wrong you can just revert back to what you previously had. You can also keep a Time Machine backup but I'm not sure how well that will work if you continue to backup when using Mavericks.

If you create a bootable image using a program like SuperDuper it will be the exact same as if you were using your system before the upgrade.

But, you can't simply downgrade from Mavericks. You'll have to reformat and restore from a backup.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:24 PM   #6
SantaRosa2.2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1308 View Post
Just create a backup on an external drive. If something goes wrong you can just revert back to what you previously had. You can also keep a Time Machine backup but I'm not sure how well that will work if you continue to backup when using Mavericks.

If you create a bootable image using a program like SuperDuper it will be the exact same as if you were using your system before the upgrade.

But, you can't simply downgrade from Mavericks. You'll have to reformat and restore from a backup.
True, you would not want to back up anymore with the same Time Machine drive once you upgrade to Mavericks.

You could disable Time Machine while you try out Mavericks, or

You could create a separate partition for your time machine for mavericks back ups and then if you ever want to choose to go back to Mountain lion you can simply choose your old Mountain lion back up after a clean install of Mountain lion and use migration assistant to reinstall your old system.
SantaRosa2.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 04:13 AM   #7
KhunJay
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibyfok View Post
Could you please list out the steps involved? Thanks for your help.
KhunJay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 04:25 AM   #8
sencolomb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhunJay View Post
Could you please list out the steps involved? Thanks for your help.
yes, please!
sencolomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Tags
baklava