Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrome or Safari (+ bonus option)

• Total voters

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
I also have noticed chrome growing slow, but will stick with it until the release of the new safari.. which seems like it has a few good editions

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
safari is garbage I get constant hangs and kick outs, its pretty pathetic since apple stop supporting flash.:mad:

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I prefer Chrome for two main reasons: because it syncs across all of my Apple and Android devices, and because I can set the page view size (e.g., 125 percent). I hate how Safari makes me hit the a/A button on every new tab.

Does it sync passwords across all my devices?

In theory, yes. In practice, however, I find that it forgets log-ins for various sites for no apparent reason. For example, sometimes it remembers my log-in for this site on my MBA but forgets it on my iMac or iPad.

knapp40

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I prefer Chrome for two main reasons: because it syncs across all of my Apple and Android devices, and because I can set the page view size (e.g., 125 percent). I hate how Safari makes me hit the a/A button on every new tab.

In theory, yes. In practice, however, I find that it forgets log-ins for various sites for no apparent reason. For example, sometimes it remembers my log-in for this site on my MBA but forgets it on my iMac or iPad.

Has anyone ever used sleipnir browser?

It looks way cool. Thinking of giving it a try.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
well, i have chrome on my ipad - but safari is still my browser of choice. i use chrome simply for youtube (works better for some reason). on my computer i use safari, as it syncs very well between my iOS devices, supports gestures, reliable and fast.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I like both, but I stick with Chrome since it makes it so much easier if I have to use another OS. You just log in and the browser is exactly like you configured it.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Yes Safari does sync your bookmarks and history between devices, and coming with iOS 7 it will also sync passwords. Plus Safari also has something called iCloud tabs, it shows all open tabs on all your devices.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Been on Chrome for a few months now, but I keep noticing how my laptop gets warm. I open the activity monitor, and then there it is, Chrome consuming a constant 5% CPU with no Flash videos or anything playing. I can reboot and start a new session, and it's running cold for a while again...

Safari seems to be more conservative when it comes to CPU and I'm thinking of moving back for that reason.

Chrome seems noticeably faster to me though, but that seems to be about to change with Safari 7. I expect any speed differences to become neglible within this year.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I use Roccat as main, and Safari as secondary - would highly recommend Roccat, especially the latest 3.5 is quite the performer.

I like Safari too, although sometimes it can hang for no reason.

I have tried many other browsers (tried over 20 now!) they all have a certain subset of problems, I find Roccat and Safari to have the least amount of problems.

I hate with Chrome that when you have too many tabs open you can't actually see what they are, and further more it becomes hard to click them as they are so small and the close button takes up the whole space. Safari and Roccat puts them in an overflow menu which can be annoying (Roccat however has VisiTabs as well as the normal tabs which gives a preview of each tab, and you can just scroll through them, no overflow menu and the tabs always stay the same size no matter how many you have. This is a great option for me. I'm also not keen on Chromes "we must take as much data from you as possible implementation) I also kind it ugly (personal opinion, I know many people like it).

Firefox I find problematic is terms of when you have too many tabs it slows down the whole system until I close it, many websites also don't seem to function correctly for me, unlike the WebKit browsers which work fine.

I have also tried Omniweb which functions fine, (although it has crashed a few times for me) but my main problem with it is it looks so dated and the tabs have to be in a drawer, I like my browser to be maximised and you can't do that in Omniweb as you can't see your tabs… Plus I find Roccat faster and more stable so there really is no point in trying to like it!

Don't even get me started with Opera… I can't even get Facebook to work on it (I haven't tried Opera Next yet I must admit - that's only because their server was sooo slow I gave up trying to download it)

Edit:
I felt it was unfair not to try Opera Next and tried to redownload it (Opera's servers are still sloooow, so I gave up but luckily macupdate had it and it downloaded fast).

Basically it is shockingly bad, it's basically a reskinned Chrome rebranded as Opera, losing most of the functionality the original Opera had, but whats worse is it has no wear near as much functionality as Chrome either… So I will be deleting it.

Last edited:

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I always preferred using Chrome when I had my PC, so I continued using it when I got my MacBook, but after a while there were loads of things that made me switch to Safari (which was always **** on PC), for example the Chrome 'back' arrows when you swipe the mouse or trackpad really annoyed me and it was quite laggy, the only thing I preferred was that YouTube seemed to run a lot more smoothly than on Safari which still continues to be a slight issue for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.