Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I am trying to put a spare 3.5inch ide drive into the enclosure from an external Que!Drive cdrw enclosure I found in a junk pile. I am able to put the drive in the enclosure and the drive spins up but the drive is not being recognized by the powerbook. Even dmesg | tail doesn't show anything for it.

The eventual goal is to use this to boot a different powerbook with a busted IDE controller.

The enclosure with the CDRW drive in it is supposedly plug and play in OSX.

I have tried the jumpers for CS, Master, and Slave.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Settings

Hard drive should be cable select if it will work at all. Controller boards in those are finicky, if it works at all.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Hard drive should be cable select if it will work at all. Controller boards in those are finicky, if it works at all.

I thought that too and I tried it. The CDRW drive I pulled out was jumpered to master. I will try the drivers above and report back

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Que!Drive

System Profiler is calling it an "Unknown" Device under the firewire tab. I haven't yet been able to find drivers for the firewire drives. The usb ones seem to be in plentiful supply...

The company also seems to be out of business. Anyone have any experience with these at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.