Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hello people, new member here and owner of a 15" rmbp.

After lots of reading, lots of testing, lots of debates whether the UI lag is due to hardware or software I came to the definitive conclusion that there is one and only one reason for all the lag and all the sluginess in UI.

And that is Safari. I know that aint a shocker to most of you and YES I know about webkit, in fact I am typing this msg while browsing the net via webkit,

BUT

webkit only addresses the scroll lag issue. Webkit still has the same UI sluggish effect as Safari does when it comes to the general performance of the rmbp.

I tested it thoroughly, the only way rmbp lags is when safari is running. It doesn't even matter if you have the window open. All it needs is safari running in the background. Try moving Safari's window via dragging. You will definitely see sluggish movement and some flickering. Try changing desktops by swiping 4 fingers left or right. UI lags again. Try opening the notification center a few times, lag.

Now close Safari. Completely.

And open every frigging program on your computer... try moving each and every of the 70 or so windows opened simultaneously by dragging. Smooth as butter. Open notification center as many times as you want. Smooth as butter. Change desktops via 4 finger swiping... again smooth.

I refuse to believe that this is a hardware issue when I have around 70 opened windows on my desktop, I have iPhoto and iMovie playing a clip, a vlc 1080p movie running at the same time and I am moving windows without even the slightest hint of lag, and that suddenly when safari is running there is a "hardware" bottleneck....and the machine can't keep up with all those pixels, when it actually handles them in far more extreme situations perfectly fine.

This is clearly a software issue associated with Safari in general. It is not just scroll lag, Safari is affecting the general UI performance of this machine. I hope apple gets their act straight and fix this. Webkit is cool and all but it only addresses the scroll lag not the other things that affect performance and really hurt the general user experience that this amazingly powerful machine can actually provide...

Sorry for long posts and glad to be a part of your community ;)

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I don't have lag doing any of the stuff you mention even on scaled resolution.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I have ui lag on a bit different things than you mention, and quitting safari doesnt stop it, i have on mail app, logic, sibelius, and maximizing windows when i use nvidia card and on everything all the time on the intel card so i cant use intel 4000

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I don't have lag doing any of the stuff you mention even on scaled resolution.

Is it possible you are not "sensitive" when it comes to lag, meaning you aren't noticing it so much?

Which model do you have?

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I just came here to post about the new Webkit nightly that completely addresses this issue. No more lag. If you have a rMBP, install it now and stop using the stable version.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Is it possible you are not "sensitive" when it comes to lag, meaning you aren't noticing it so much?

Which model do you have?

I can concur with him.

I have a base model, and I don't see what you're describing.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I just came here to post about the new Webkit nightly that completely addresses this issue. No more lag. If you have a rMBP, install it now and stop using the stable version.

Webkit nightly addresses the scroll lag issue, not the general UI lag issue when the browser is running in the background.

I actually said in my post that I am running webkit and not safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.