Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
London
Hi

I am looking to upload GB's of videos onto a site like dropbox/icloud so that I can stream them on ipad (bandwidth not issue, I have unlim data plan)

I was wondering, what would be best service to use? Dropbox or icloud or potentially others?

I know you can stream directly from dropbox in android 4.0 but is it the same foe ios, because i want to be able to watch videos without having to download them onto my ipad from the cloud service.

Thank you

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
The best thing that i would suggest would be a western digital drive you can get up to 6TB drive which would hold lots of media then you can stream it to your iPad and Watch what you want at your leisure.I use a western digital drive on my network every day and stream Tv Series and it works flawless every time

Here is the link http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

All you have to do is link the western digital drive to your router at home and on your network and then download the app to your iPad go on either a windows machine or a mac going in to the settings get the passcode and type it in allow media streaming to then all you have to do is drag and drop your video files on to your western digital drive and then just pick your iPad click the drive look for your folder or file then press it once and then it should play then press the cross in the right hand corner to max the picture then enjoy what you are watching on your iPad.You can always stream you audio or video when you are out and about or even the other side of the world.Other thing you can use the drive for is to use it as a back up machine or stream audio its a very versatile piece of hardware its great for reading PDFS on too especially when they are big and take up lots of space up.

If you decide to buy the drive and you come stuck with it feel free to send me message and i will be willing to help you out and sort it out for you but it very straight forward to do it only took me a couple of minutes to set up and it was working fine and i have had mine for about 2 years now and never had a problem with it.

The device is expensive to buy but it well worth it because you can store so many different things doesn't have to be media you can back up anything really i have all sorts of things on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.