Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krafcik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I recently installed Windows 8 via bootcamp on my 2010 imac.

The Imac has the most recent version of OS downloaded via itunes. I do have the snow lepoard disc, but when i tried it while booted in Windows it tells me it will only run on Windows xp.

Trackpad works fine in the Windows boot up, but the wireless mac keyboard does not. I've plugged in a usb keyboard and held down ALT and it still boots to windows. I've also booted with lepoard disc in the drive and it still boots to windows.

how do i get back to Mac?

When I go to my computer in Windows and Control Panel, I don't see the Mac partition or Boot Camp.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
That isn't a good sign, not being able to see the other drives.

Did you install the bootcamp drivers? If you did there should be an app tray item that looks like a gray diamond for bootcamp options. I have to use that to get back to the mac partition.

Krafcik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
That isn't a good sign, not being able to see the other drives.

Did you install the bootcamp drivers? If you did there should be an app tray item that looks like a gray diamond for bootcamp options. I have to use that to get back to the mac partition.

Where and how do i install the bootcamp drivers?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
How exactly did you install Windows 8? Did you follow the instructions as if you were installing Windows 7?

When you got to the point where you were supposed to format the BOOTCAMP partition to NTFS, did you format that partition and ONLY that partition, or did you do more?

Also, do you have anything in Windows 8 you need to keep? It sounds like you may need to do a destructive format and installation of OS X if you want to use that again. That would involve booting from the Snow Leopard DVD and clearing the hard disk and reinstalling Snow Leopard. Then you would need to update it to the most recent version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and then visit the Mac App Store and reinstall Mountain Lion from there.

Do you have a Time Machine backup of OS X before you did the Windows 8 install?

Krafcik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I don't mind doing a format and time machine restore. I can't get the imac to boot off the snow lepoard disc though. How do i do that while using a windows keyboard?

How exactly did you install Windows 8? Did you follow the instructions as if you were installing Windows 7?

When you got to the point where you were supposed to format the BOOTCAMP partition to NTFS, did you format that partition and ONLY that partition, or did you do more?

Also, do you have anything in Windows 8 you need to keep? It sounds like you may need to do a destructive format and installation of OS X if you want to use that again. That would involve booting from the Snow Leopard DVD and clearing the hard disk and reinstalling Snow Leopard. Then you would need to update it to the most recent version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and then visit the Mac App Store and reinstall Mountain Lion from there.

Do you have a Time Machine backup of OS X before you did the Windows 8 install?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I don't mind doing a format and time machine restore. I can't get the imac to boot off the snow lepoard disc though. How do i do that while using a windows keyboard?

Alt is the same as Option on that keyboard. If you hold Alt during the startup chime you should have the option to boot from the DVD. Also, holding the "C" key during the startup chime should initiate a. boot from DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.