Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Ready to order my very first iMac & very excited!!

When do they take the payment & charge the card....... Is it when the order is placed or when the order is ready to be dispatched ( a few weeks away)!!!

Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!?

Thanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
In the UK a company can only take funds from your account once the goods are dispatched.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
In the UK a company can only take funds from your account once the goods are dispatched.

Maybe, but they will still check to make sure the card is good/funds are available at the time of sale.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!?

Thanks

What do you mean amend the details? Which details?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ready to order my very first iMac & very excited!!

When do they take the payment & charge the card....... Is it when the order is placed or when the order is ready to be dispatched ( a few weeks away)!!!

Thanks

In the UK they check to see if the funds are available and some companies will 'earmark' the funds (basically claiming as theirs) and affectively removing it from any balance. The funds are finally taken when the goods are about to dispatch.

In relation to your second point I don't think it would be possible to amend the details of the card. Though it may be worth a phone call with Apple to speak to a Customer Service rep and gain absolute clarification.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Do you have a source for that? There are loads of companies I use that take the payment up straight away, as far as I understand it this is not illegal.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Secondly would I be able to amend the card details...... Want to pay on a specific credit card however the card won't be ready for nearly 2 weeks but was hoping to place the Order now.....?!

What does this mean? When you place the order you agree to payment source. You can't change the payment source without canceling the order and reordering.

I suggest you curb your enthusiasm for two weeks until you get your financing straightened out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.