Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
I am pretty sure I have my

Use:
besides normal use, here is some more of an idea of what I will be doing...
School (computer science)
Work (IT analyst)
Photoshop/Dreamweaver
Potential virtual machines
Will not be gaming (I have an solid i7 PC desktop for this)
Will not need more than 128gb storage

I am thinking that 8gb of ram may be pushing it on the 13" MBA - I run several java apps (Java loves RAM) - will be running virtual machines, remote desktop, SQL management studio, possibly a SQL DB for testing.

I am fairly confident I will need 16gb of RAM.

My question is, should i go with a refurbished current gen 13" rMBP or wait for the haswell version.

Am I in a rush? no
Do I want it ASAP? lol yes.

Hoping someone in my field can jump in and make a suggestion.
My instincts tell me to wait for the newest gen. :p

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Good news! No need to wait. Pick up your haswell MBA right now.

Didn't read the OP did you?

I would get one now if you need it. I don't think haswell is that much better in terms of cpu performance and we have no idea when they would be released.

However, I don't think the 13rmbp has 16gig as an option. Why not get the cmbp and upgrade it to 16?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Didn't read the OP did you?

I would get one now if you need it. I don't think haswell is that much better in terms of cpu performance and we have no idea when they would be released.

However, I don't think the 13rmbp has 16gig as an option. Why not get the cmbp and upgrade it to 16?
Missed the switch. Dang details.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
thanks for the quick replies.

I don't think haswell is that much better in terms of cpu performance and we have no idea when they would be released.

I am not worried about performance increases that haswell will bring, but i am curious to see if we are getting the 80ish percent, or even 50ish percent increase in bat life.

screwdriver + newegg :p
Retina display is why i sold my 2011 MBP, obviously with my background, I am always going to drool over the latest tech, freaking retina display is calling my name.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
thanks for the quick replies.

I am not worried about performance increases that haswell will bring, but i am curious to see if we are getting the 80ish percent, or even 50ish percent increase in bat life.

screwdriver + newegg :p
Retina display is why i sold my 2011 MBP, obviously with my background, I am always going to drool over the latest tech, freaking retina display is calling my name.

To my understanding, the ram is soldered on so a screwdriver wouldn't really work haha

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
current MBAs and rMBPs have soldered in place RAM and there is no way to upgrade it after build by Apple unless you have access to freakingly expensive equipment. Don't even think about it.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
To my understanding, the ram is soldered on so a screwdriver wouldn't really work haha

You are correct - apparently just the standard macbook is not soldered.

This complicates things. This is a prime example of why people dislike apple.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
yeah...you lose self custimizability. But look at how thin and sexy the rMBPs are because of it :D

im trying to find a internal pick of the memory in the unit. I doubt it NEEDS to be soldered. the only option for 16gb includes processing power that i dont need, and an additional 1000 bucks :(

Might be back to the macbook air.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
im trying to find a internal pick of the memory in the unit. I doubt it NEEDS to be soldered. the only option for 16gb includes processing power that i dont need, and an additional 1000 bucks :(

Might be back to the macbook air.

Found it - literally no room on the board - the memory is on the logic board, not just a 204 pin unit with a little solder (like i hoped)...

macbook air? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.