Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:30 AM   #1
strongs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Been offered an imac for 850 but cna't decide to wait...

I'm new to apple computers I've always had a PC but have been thinking about getting a mac for the last 6 months.

I've just been offered a 27" iMac for 850GBP inc delivery is that a good price?

Specs:
OSX 10.7
27"
2.70 GHz i5
1tb HDD
4GB Memory
Mint condition but does not come in it's original box and no warranty


The specs more than fulfill my requirements but I just can't decide whether to go for it or wait for the new imac!?
__________________
strongs
______________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate : iPad Mini 16GB White/Silver : iMac 2012 21.5" 2.7GHZ i5
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:37 AM   #2
MacMiguel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongs View Post
i'm new to apple computers i've always had a pc but have been thinking about getting a mac for the last 6 months.

I've just been offered a 27" imac for 850gbp inc delivery is that a good price?

specs:
Osx 10.7
27"
2.70 ghz i5
1tb hdd
4gb memory
mint condition but does not come in it's original box and no warranty


the specs more than fulfill my requirements but i just can't decide whether to go for it or wait for the new imac!?

Don't buy it
MacMiguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not a good deal, I'd steer clear...I've seen higher spec. iMacs go for the same kind of money....Newer models too. Look for a better spec. around the 950 mark and with Apple Care included...If you desperately want the 27" It will come at a slightly higher price tag, but the 21.5 is still a very useable screen.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:42 AM   #4
strongs
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Not a good deal, I'd steer clear...I've seen higher spec. iMacs go for the same kind of money....Newer models too. Look for a better spec. around the 950 mark and with Apple Care included...If you desperately want the 27" It will come at a slightly higher price tag, but the 21.5 is still a very useable screen.
Soyou've seen higher spec 27" macs go for less?

Is that not a new model? he said he got it in 2011 (forgive me I'm a n00b)
__________________
strongs
______________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate : iPad Mini 16GB White/Silver : iMac 2012 21.5" 2.7GHZ i5
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongs View Post
Soyou've seen higher spec 27" macs go for less?

Is that not a new model? he said he got it in 2011 (forgive me I'm a n00b)
There was a deal on the market place board here ( you won't have access to it until you've posted some more) with a 27" 2011 with AC, a faster CPU for 950 UK. It sold quickly, but I think you'd be better off waiting for a better offering...You certainly want the AC.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:51 AM   #6
strongs
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
There was a deal on the market place board here ( you won't have access to it until you've posted some more) with a 27" 2011 with AC, a faster CPU for 950 UK. It sold quickly, but I think you'd be better off waiting for a better offering...You certainly want the AC.
What is AC?

EDIT Ahhh applecare
__________________
strongs
______________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate : iPad Mini 16GB White/Silver : iMac 2012 21.5" 2.7GHZ i5
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongs View Post
What is AC?

EDIT Ahhh applecare
Sorry, I should have said, yes Applecare is a very useful item to have when buying a secondhand iMac, or any Apple device come to that...It does increase the value, but you know you can get your new purchase fixed if required.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:02 AM   #8
strongs
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Sorry, I should have said, yes Applecare is a very useful item to have when buying a secondhand iMac, or any Apple device come to that...It does increase the value, but you know you can get your new purchase fixed if required.
I'll double check on the warranty I've got to admit I would prefer it to come with one.

850 seemed like a good price to me as I've seen the same spec on average go for 950+ on eBay.
__________________
strongs
______________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate : iPad Mini 16GB White/Silver : iMac 2012 21.5" 2.7GHZ i5
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:08 AM   #9
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongs View Post
I'll double check on the warranty I've got to admit I would prefer it to come with one.

850 seemed like a good price to me as I've seen the same spec on average go for 950+ on eBay.
They cost $1359 refurbished in the US before sales tax directly through Apple with a year warranty. This will probably drop a bit more once the ivy bridge models hit. Here is the model you mentioned. Ignore their pricing estimates. They're never correct, but it does give you the full spec list.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
strongs
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Just after a few more opinions on the price of this secondhand imac as I'm still tempted, anyone?
__________________
strongs
______________________________________________________________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black/Slate : iPad Mini 16GB White/Silver : iMac 2012 21.5" 2.7GHZ i5
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac: help me decide! aartoodeetoo iMac 12 Jun 26, 2013 03:20 PM
CyberPower 850 UPS enough for 2012 27" i7 iMac? AppleInMyBlood iMac 10 Apr 15, 2013 08:46 PM
Help Decide on new iMac purchase!! ArmanSLR iMac 2 Dec 11, 2012 03:34 PM
Is $850 a good price for 21.5 inch 2.5GHz iMac? ejmc3 iMac 7 Oct 9, 2012 12:28 PM
phones: Help Me Decide, Galaxy Nexus now or wait for iPhone 5 carbonmotion Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 251 Jul 20, 2012 01:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC