Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youeyemind

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I want the new 27 inch Imac. Its incredible but I may not need it. I need a Mac for editing photos and videos (Imovie) and I love OSX.

I own a gaming Pc with I7 4.6 ghz OC, GTX580, 840 Pro SSD, 8GB mem. 26 inch monitor but it kinda sucks (Samsung T260HD)

Option 1. Keep the gaming PC and buy a Mac Mini. Use the Mac mini for everything except gaming and us my PC for that. This would be cheaper but not so much if I upgrade my sup par monitor. Price around $1700 for mini and monitor.

Option 2: Try to sell a very difficult item to sell. I have had my PC on Craigslist minus the SSD for 3 weeks! If it sells, BUY a awesome IMAC I7 680mx and upgrade the ram myself. Price minus the sale: $1300 but the tower may not sell :( which would mean $2400 with edu discount

Option 3: Continue to try to understand the wild world of Hackintosh where some of my hardware might not work and reading about it for two days has not given me much confidence. :confused: The people on the forum do not reply.

What should I do guys? I would like to save money obviously but I am tired of not owning a mac.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you really want to game I still feel a PC is better for gaming. I guess I could be wrong nowadays, but it was PC all the way for me when I was gaming. That being said, I doubt you're going to unload your gaming PC for the price you're hoping for so I think you may find a Mac Mini is your best bet.

youeyemind

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Mac Mini is your best bet.

That option sounds good until I try to get a monitor that is just as superior as the IPS 27 inch and remember buying a Thunderbolt display is out of the question because it wont connect to my PC/graphics card.

I mean is there a monitor out there that is just as awesome as the apple one that comes with the IMAC?

keep those suggestions coming :p

iWas

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
That option sounds good until I try to get a monitor that is just as superior as the IPS 27 inch and remember buying a Thunderbolt display is out of the question because it wont connect to my PC/graphics card.

I mean is there a monitor out there that is just as awesome as the apple one that comes with the IMAC?

keep those suggestions coming :p

This should be just as nice as the apple display.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=225-4015

Just wanted to add that dell gives you a 3-year warranty as standard and guarantees the panels in their ultrasharp line to be free of any pixel issues. Even a single pixel being bright or dead and they will replace the panel.

youeyemind

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.