Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 11, 2013, 06:17 AM   #26
testcard
macrumors 65816

This has gone more off-topic than I ever intended. I can only apologise.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 06:45 AM   #27
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Am I the only one here who looks at these leaked photos and thinks: "I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at". I might as well be gazing at an X-ray of my spleen.
Yess Lmaooo
scapegoat81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 06:49 AM   #28
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Am I the only one here who looks at these leaked photos and thinks: "I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at". I might as well be gazing at an X-ray of my spleen.
Actually, I could probably identify pictures of my spleen, but I'm with you on the part pictures.

Not a clue...
Old May 12, 2013, 11:28 PM   #29
steve09090
macrumors member

Quote:
This has gone more off-topic than I ever intended. I can only apologise.
No you're fine. It's these random parts with a variance of a number or two that I find hard to get excited about. It's a science for some, so I can understand why they do. Just not for me.

Top right is the spleen
steve09090 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:42 AM   #30
permol
macrumors newbie

Now that you mention antenna...

It's very interesting that it seems satisfactory to comment on pictures of electronics and not at all comment on the fact that the general quality of the smartphone antennas are very (maybee chokingly) bad. Why doesn't Apple pay some attention to this vital part of communications?
permol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:05 AM   #31
steve09090
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permol View Post
It's very interesting that it seems satisfactory to comment on pictures of electronics and not at all comment on the fact that the general quality of the smartphone antennas are very (maybee chokingly) bad. Why doesn't Apple pay some attention to this vital part of communications?
You're flat out wrong. They've spent $Millions on it and made genuine advances. So why is it always Apples fault when the Telco's (the ones responsible for sending the data in the first place) are the ones refusing to add more towers or develop better technology?

The Telco's are the one who are delivering the bandwidth (or not delivering it depending on who it is), and they are the ones who need to deliver. It's hard to catch a signal that's not there.
steve09090 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:58 AM   #32
kimvette
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Every time I see this it blows my mind how small they can make components now. Think back 20 years to cell phone antennae.
That's due to several reasons:

1. The wavelength of analog phones was much longer so a larger antenna was required in order to have sufficient gain

2. The transmitter on analog phones was usually 3 watts, and cell towers were few and far between. I used to have very spotty reception where I was and had to drive a couple miles to use my phone. I wasn't able to punt Verizon's land line until 1997 or 1998 when digital became available.

3. A large battery was required

Once the infrastructure was built up and TDMA (now GSM) was deployed, analog became less important so the analog transceiver power could be cut to under a watt, and antennae could be 1/8 or even 1/16 wave or not even ideally tuned since it was assumed that the user would be primarily using digital, and plans to sunset the analog network were in place (although it would take another decade to fully sunset analog).
kimvette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 04:35 AM   #33
permol
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve09090 View Post
You're flat out wrong. They've spent $Millions on it and made genuine advances. So why is it always Apples fault when the Telco's (the ones responsible for sending the data in the first place) are the ones refusing to add more towers or develop better technology?

The Telco's are the one who are delivering the bandwidth (or not delivering it depending on who it is), and they are the ones who need to deliver. It's hard to catch a signal that's not there.
So facts are of no interest to you? Check independent evaluations and measurements of the phone-capabilities and see that actually I am correct in stating that the specific quality of the mobile-device's communication capabilities is decreasing. I specifically do not mention the operators network-stations, one reason being that it is not at all the subject of this thread and the other being that I don't have specific knowledge about this. But keep defending your beloved vendor as they might stop paying you if you don't.
permol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:46 AM   #34
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

hmmm...seems great. but, i don't expect much from the new iphone, some tweaks here and there and it's done.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion