Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I have 2 technical issues at the moment using the forum.

When on my laptop I have to manually refresh every page after I load it for the first time whether it be the index, page two of a thread or whatever.

If I don't do this, I don't see the latest posts and / or the system doesn't recognise me as logged in.

Have I tweaked a setting somewhere to turn auto refresh off or something?

Secondly, I always prefer to search the forum or a particular thread for previous posts on the same topic. Unfortunately on Safari on the iPhone, the drop down search menus don't work for me.

Any assistance, greatly appreciated.

_______

Seems I can't type the title either - it's meant to say Refreshing - oh well, it's late here in the UK, or early depending on which way you look at it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

When on my laptop I have to manually refresh every page after I load it for the first time whether it be the index, page two of a thread or whatever.

If I don't do this, I don't see the latest posts and / or the system doesn't recognise me as logged in.

I'm not sure I understand. Does it do this in other browsers too?

arn

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I'm not sure I understand. Does it do this in other browsers too?

arn

Thanks for the reply.

I only ever use IE 8 on my aging laptop (getting replaced in the Jan sales) and Safari on my iPhone.

Safari doesn't have the refresh issue.

I literally have to refresh every time I access a new forum page on the laptop. So if I go to the iOS 7 forum index, for example, it won't show the current threads unless I refresh (and sometimes it doesn't show me as logged in until after refresh too).

Also, if I'm browsing a long thread on say, page 20, I won't see the latest posts until I refresh again.

If it's a particularly fast moving thread, I may see page 20 prior to refresh only to find out everyone else is already on page 22.

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012

OK it seems someone must've been messing with the settings on my computer.

In IE 8,

Tools > Internet Options > Browsing history > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages

had been changed to 'Never' from 'Every time'

Thought I'd post in case others had the same problem.

Secondly, I always prefer to search the forum or a particular thread for previous posts on the same topic. Unfortunately on Safari on the iPhone, the drop down search menus don't work for me.

Still an issue.

Is this the same for everyone please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.