Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
When the screen is off totally black. I have a ton of dust on the screen. I have used a dry microfiber cloth and as soon as I wipe more dust collects.
Is it safe to use a dry microfiber cloth? Does yours collect dust easily, how do you clean yours? Will a microfiber cloth scratch screen? 2012 late iMac

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I had the same problem. It is like a magnet for dust!
After the first couple of cleans with a damp microfibre cloth and buffing with a dry one to get rid of streaks. Just wipe the dust one way across screen!
It gets easier after a while. Something to do with the weird coating apple have applied!!

I don't know why they didn't use the same coating as on the ipad and iPhone. They are a doddle to keep clean and dust free!

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone else screen get dust how do you clean. Will a microfiber cloth scratch the screen

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Use the microfiber cloth that Apple includes with the iMac. Use it dry.

If you have fingerprints or smudges, dampen a microfiber cloth with water and wipe gently.

The glass has a very thin antireflective coating on the surface, similar to a camera lens. Don't use any cleaning chemicals; they can damage the coating.

Previous iMacs (and iPhones, iPod, iPads, etc.) don't have the antireflective coating, they are just plain glass. You have more options for cleaning them safely.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone else screen get dust how do you clean. Will a microfiber cloth scratch the screen

If you are just lightly dusting with a dry MF cloth, I don't think it will scratch.

I use a MF cloth with Stoners Invisible Glass and it seems to cut down on the static electricity on the screen and less dust is attracted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.