Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turn of MacBook Air?

• I turn mine off frequently.

Votes: 39 18.9%
  • I turn mine off while traveling with it.

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • I keep mine on the majority of the time.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I keep mine on all the time unless forced to turn it off. (OS Updates)

Votes: 102 49.5%

• Total voters

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Congrats. I also never turn off my macs... I've had uptimes of months and the speed was just the same as always, so it really bugs me to see that some people do turn their macbooks off every day. It feels weird, but no matter what you say, they still do it. If their lifes had a face, I'd punch it real hard :confused:

Isn't that a bit harsh if people turn their mac off then surely thats up to them...after all Apple put a on/off button on them for a reason eh?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I turn mine off when I'm travelling so it's not cooking inside a bag in my car. If I'm working at home I leave it on, often for several days. I live on a farm where there's a lot of granite and we get lightning strikes that split massive pine trees in half, and can melt so-called lightning protection boards into Dali-like surreal shapes. And so I never leave anything computerish plugged in when I'm not here in case a storm strikes in my absence.

I've heard that turning things off regularly shortens their life, but a direct lightning hit shortens it instantly!

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I suppose that's not a problem in developed countries ;)

Where is the downvote button when you need it.. Apparently you have no clue about how electricity works. It doesn't matter if you sit in a 7 star hotel in Dubai or in a small village in Africa, you can fry your equipment anywhere in the world due to a storm, lightning, bad cables, whatever. Every normal person should have a UPS for valuable electronics.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Leave my on 24/7. Don't see the need to switch it off, since standby consumes virtually no power, and the allure of instant-on is way too addictive. :)

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I usually turn mine off pretty frequently actually. Given I have two laptops, one that stays at home (MBP) which I turn off after most use, I carry the MBA around to work etc and turn it off throughout the day if I am not using. I'm starting to keep it on more and more however, since things pop up often during a home buying process, I tend to check my e-mail and do all of my important business on a non-work computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.