Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:43 PM   #26
pigoz
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavtz View Post
  • I don't know what they've done to the screen, but the amount of reflection is massively reduced (see pic attached)
  • The monitor is decently calibrated out of the box; the ColorMunki only made minor adjustments (and you can actually manually turn down the brightness to a sensible level (out-of-box mid brightness is 110cd/m2), unlike previous models).
  • My display appears uniform whatever colour is on screen, I haven't seen any dead pixels and there's no backlight bleed or intrusion at the brightness I'm using (120cd/m2)
Still waiting for mine since UPS lost the package. Thank you for running these tests, they raised my hype level even further
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:28 PM   #27
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Pardon the dumb question, but how do you install and use x-plane 10 without a DVD drive?
The demo works without a DVD. However, if I buy the full version, I'll make a disk image of the first DVD on another Mac and use that on my iMac. From what I've read on the 'net, it should work.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:45 PM   #28
Kadath
macrumors regular

USB DVD drives are cheap as hell, or get a buffalo Blu burner and set for the future
Kadath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:27 PM   #29
colday
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
The demo works without a DVD. However, if I buy the full version, I'll make a disk image of the first DVD on another Mac and use that on my iMac. From what I've read on the 'net, it should work.
You will want more scenery than you're going to get with the first DVD. If you have another Mac on the same network you can share the DVD drive. It will take a very long time to install, it does anyhow. Also the USB key is worth the value so that you don't need the DVD every time you play. You can also do the image thing, you will just have to mount it before starting X-Plane.
colday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:00 PM   #30
WilliamG
macrumors 601

I really like my new 27" i7 iMac, too. It's absolutely silent at all times, even with a regular 1TB Seagate spinner inside. Booting from my Samsung SSD over Thunderbolt is a joy, and the internal drive is now a photos drive.

Sound is "OK" (not as good as my late 2009 27"), but not horrible. Passable. Reflections are indeed greatly reduced. Hugely reduced!

Screen uniformity is "OK", but it's definitely yellower toward the bottom of the screen, though most of this is the inferior viewing angles of these new iMacs. A fully black screen shows what APPEARS to be bleed on all the corners, but again - it's just viewing angles. If I move directly in front of those corners, the "bleed" disappears completely. What happened here, Apple?

Speed is bonkers. This thing is lightning fast (overkill 32GB RAM installed). I've had mine running 24/7 since I opened it up on Thursday, and it's working well so far with no instability.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:06 PM   #31
maggienh
macrumors newbie

Great !!!

I received my i7 just before Christmas and I love it. It was scheduled for 24 dec to 31 dec and it came in on 17 dec. It's beautiful and very speedy......much better than my old Windows machine that was 8 years old.
maggienh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:18 AM   #32
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a

Just played a 4k video file on it, flawless. Colours on this screen are awesome. I was photo editing with a macbook air and a sony tv. I've now seen the light. Pictures I've edited before now all look either flat or over processed.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:18 AM   #33
Jay9495
macrumors regular

I've had mine for 2 weeks tomorrow, it's the best thing I have ever bought
Jay9495 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:29 AM   #34
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

I've got a fusion drive, is there anyway to check manually what is on the ssd drive and what isn't?

I know it does it automatically but say I want Final Cut Pro X on the SSD and because I have nothing to edit for 3 weeks it's untouched in that period when I next go to use it it might have moved to the HDD and that wouldn't be cool.

It'd just be nice to know what's on the SSD.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:30 AM   #35
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9495 View Post
I've had mine for 2 weeks tomorrow, it's the best thing I have ever bought
Ditto just need a new chair for my desk my bum hurts
bobright is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:30 AM   #36
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Ive had mine for 3 days now. First day I installed and set i up with all the software etc...made a clean install instead of migrating. day to, fixing all the cables etc so my desk look as clean and sexy as possible I had all ready bought all the fancy furnitures and equipment which I wanted to accomodate the arrival of the imac. Now, everything is set up.

I ordered a Wacom Cintiq tablet 6 months ago, which has gone through 2 repairs all ready. But, came just in time for the iMac.

The iMac itself works flawlessly. the imac looks great, the screen works great, the speed is fenomenal and everything just works perfectly. So, a completely different build quality than the wacom cintiq ...its hard not to be amazed by Apple when I dont experience a single thing to dislike with the iMac and the 768 flash drive is so fast, with no sound or anything...Im so glad I made that investment.

Im in Love and life is finally complete. So, now Ill probably not hang around here much more. thanks everyone for a good social place to ease of the frustration while waiting. Its been a loooong wait, so Im happy the iMac did arrive without any flaws.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:38 AM   #37
echomango
macrumors member

I am really enjoying this machine. I have had it now for a week or so and I absolutely love it. I came from a 2006 IMac so the contrast is extreme. I love the screen, the speed, the quick startups and the overall snappiness. After Effects runs wonderfully now though I need more ram. I have ordered another 16 gb after watching After Effects chew up whatever ram I have available out of the factory 8 GB. I can't wait to see what happens with 24 and if that is not enough I will go to 32.

One of the surprises for me was the increase in speed of my internet connection. With my old IMac the net was okay, sluggish sometimes, but okay. Now it is so much faster. Click and there is the page. The slowdown in the net was not my connection, it was my computer. Wow. Unexpected and very welcome change. Man it is snappy now. What's not to love?

Good to see everyone from the 27in Delivery page!
echomango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:21 AM   #38
FilipH
macrumors member

Among all the negative threads surrounding the new imac, i'd like to mention that i received mine (27 inc, i7, fusion) today in perfect condition. Coming from a 2007 (office) and 2009 imac (home).

It looks dead sexy, runs absolutely silent with zero heat. 27 inch is huge though. Never knew office 2011 (used to hate it) can run so snappy and fast.

Speakers are much much better then my old imac's. Bass is deeper, and the music sounds much richer.

I combine my new imac with Divvy (as recommended on the verge a few days ago), and it's just great great fun. The speed + Divvy really allows me to multitask.

Now i'm thinking to buy the base 21 inch one for my work space, but i worry about the 5400rpm harddisk inside it. I'd love to hear some feedback from an actual user. Does it feel slow because of the harddisk??
FilipH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:52 AM   #39
Will/\
macrumors member

This is my first mac and I have waited for the new iMac to be launched since may so I am really glad that I waited for the new one and was patient. It's Awesome.
Will/\ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac