Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 21, 2013, 07:24 PM   #26
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

My mom has had an iPad 2 since it's launched and it works great for her.
There's no reason you'll have to upgrade your iPad for at least 4 years after getting it, unless you need to use a certain app that needs a new iOS version, or want to play the latest and greatest games.
So for web browsing, email, social networking, etc, the iPad should last you a while.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:05 PM   #27
syd430

The Curiosity Rover, which landed on Mars in 2012 uses the RAD750 CPU - a processor that became available in 2001 and has a clock speed of just 110-200 Mhz.

The urge to continuously upgrade electronics every year that are perfectly fit for purpose is a human characteristic flaw perpetuated by a powerful marketing machine, rather than one based on rationality.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 10:17 PM   #28
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
The Curiosity Rover, which landed on Mars in 2012 uses the RAD750 CPU - a processor that became available in 2001 and has a clock speed of just 110-200 Mhz.

The urge to continuously upgrade electronics every year that are perfectly fit for purpose is a human characteristic flaw perpetuated by a powerful marketing machine, rather than one based on rationality.
The chip on the Curiosity Rover is in no way allegorical to consumer electronics. How much computational power is really required for a device that has one purpose, or at most a few? In addition, CPUs have became exponentially powerful since that time, though arguably slowing down the exponential growth around 2009. Yes - Moore's law is becoming irrelevant now but its been a good ride. A computer built in 2013 such as the MBP Retina is in NO way comparable to a computer from 2001.

Are you saying its irrational to upgrade from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 because Retina really makes null difference in the long run? I guess this is more opinion here, and one could also argue that it was part of Apple's master plan to plan every iPad's successor for a good five years early on, but I digress. I suppose one doesn't need a Retina screen, but it makes a big difference on usability for most people.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 11:01 PM   #29
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Are you saying its irrational to upgrade from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 because Retina really makes null difference in the long run?
Of course not. It really depends on the individual, their income, their preferences. I suspect though that it wouldn't be atypical for people to exaggerate the benefit relative to cost. I can't talk about anyone at an individual level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
I suppose one doesn't need a Retina screen, but it makes a big difference on usability for most people.
Indeed the retina display does make a big difference. I even appreciated the jump from the iPad 3 to 4. I bought it during launch week . The cost of which however was negligible for me.

The point of my post was not to say that that it always irrational to upgrade to the last tech. Not even close. The point was that it is not a set-in-stone rule that all technology somehow automatically becomes obsolete within a few years. For the vast majority of people it will, but for some it won't. The way people talk about these things in absolutes on boards like this however, it's as if an iPad has an expiration date like a carton of milk.

Last edited by syd430; May 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 11:38 PM   #30
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
It depends on your usage but it could... defiantly ...last 2 or 3 years or more.
Against all the odds I'm sure it will put up a strong fight to last 2 or 3 years!

But barring mishaps and misfortune it should DEFINITELY last at least 2 years. My 1G is now over 3 years old and my 2G is now over two years old.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:41 PM   #31
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Think about it this way,Netherlands Mini, which has two and a half year old specs, handles everything well enough. The iPad 4 should last four years before it feels taxed.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad