Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Someone not long ago checked via some navigation on my MacBook Pro and discovered that all the Time Machine backups I thought I'd done hadn't worked, and that the last backup was months ago.

Now I've reformatted the drive, and can't figure out where I go to check when the last external hard drive backup actually was.

Tried Google and forum search without success. Anyone help?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The simplest thing that comes to mind is to enter Time Machine and see what's the last date to appear along its timeline (side of screen).

Whatever it was that someone did when they "checked via some navigation", you could do that again. You may have to ask whoever did it before, and have them tell you what they did. I have no idea what that might be, unless I just guess.

playethic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Time Machine seems not to be working?

When I click on Time Machine, I just get a space-image with multiple Finder windows on top of one another.
I don't get anything that actually lets me select anything.

I think it used to really clearly just give me an option of backing up.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
When I click the TM icon in the menu bar it tells me when the last backup to my external drive is. This is on ML, what OS are you on?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I click on Time Machine, I just get a space-image with multiple Finder windows on top of one another.
I don't get anything that actually lets me select anything.

I think it used to really clearly just give me an option of backing up.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

You should see this when you click the TM icon in the menu bar.

isc9S.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.