Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Got my Nifty Mini Drive in red a couple of weeks ago, and it is working great. 64 gig card in it. Workmanship was good too. Happy with the product.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Is there any good solution for 13" MBP Retina? :confused:

I ordered theminidrive (http://theminidrive.com) which is a copy of the Nifty, they said on the homepage that it would work but it didn´t and they then changed the information on their homepage.

I am now looking for a good solution to expand my storage by at least 32-64GB without having anything that is sticking out from the laptop. Any ideas?

The MBP slot opening is thinner than the MBA. The plastic end piece on the minidrive adapter is too thick to fit. I sanded one down and the adapter fits just fine. Dunno why they initially said that the model would fit the MBP.

Edwin124

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
can you run bootcamp off one of the microSD cards using one of these nifty drive thingys?

lightningslow

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Having been interested in the Minidrive since its inception, i am utterly disgusted at the price within the EU. Its in euros, but it translates into £30 for me.

I appreciate this is a startup company but the price is so outrageous when people are buying them for $20 elsewhere, it just seems like a total mickey take to me when prices across the pond are double, or more.

stevenz

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
Wellington, NZ
For $40 for what amounts to a simple adapter, I would expect the Nifty unit to be of excellent quality. The competition units sound like they're of fairly poor quality also, are these just companies hitting the consumers with a particularly large amount of Apple Tax, or is there more to it?

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
The competition units sound like they're of fairly poor quality

On eBay, search for "hiddensuit" (not a typo, one word). I've got this mini drive ripoff and it sits completely flush in the MBA. I like it a lit. It's reasonable quality, and it's cheap as well. Since it's just a simple adapter, speed depends on the Micro SD you put into it.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I looked at the NiftyDrive, but it was out of stock for my model. I checked eBay, and picked up the Baseqi adapter. Paired that with the Samsung Pro 64gb microSD (70mb/s read). So far that pair has worked perfectly this past week.

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, Time Machine will work.

Anyone knows if you can backup files to your sd card using time machine??

Yes, I'm 90% sure this is possible. Only reason I'm not 100% sure is because I haven't received my new Macbook Air to confirm. However, from reading here I know folks are doing this regularly. In fact, I just ordered the 128GB PNY StorEdge memory card to use for this very purpose. Should work nicely and it was especially nice that Amazon had it for less than $100.

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
Thanks for the info

This is an awesome thread thanks everyone. I ordered a Nifty Minidrive today and a 64GB micro card. It'll store my iTunes library (music, movies etc).

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Anyone knows if you can backup files to your sd card using time machine??

Yes, it works fine on my end. I've only used 40GB on my SSD so far. So the 64GB works just fine. I guess when I start to use more of the SSD, I'll have to manually choose which folders to backup, since the 64GB won't cut it.

One thing to watch for is, that to back up the 40GB, it took 7 1/2 hours. I have a pretty fast Samsung Pro microSD card, which tops out at 70 mb/s read and 20 mb/s write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.