Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I tried an HP laptop, two Acer Ultrabooks and an Asus over the past month and Im finally satisfied with my new 11' Air even though the other laptops have more/better features in some regards. I love everything about MBA. With its sleek design, user interface and build quality im glad i bought it. This is my main computer and while a lot of people say the 13' is better because of the screen Im perfectly fine with an 11' screen. So why did you guys get a MBA over other laptops?
Cheers :cool:

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
I tried an HP laptop, two Acer Ultrabooks and an Asus over the past month and Im finally satisfied with my new 11' Air even though the other laptops have more/better features in some regards. I love everything about MBA. With its sleek design, user interface and build quality im glad i bought it. This is my main computer and while a lot of people say the 13' is better because of the screen Im perfectly fine with an 11' screen. So why did you guys get a MBA over other laptops?
Cheers :cool:

I am windows users,but now i have MBA 13' mid 2012.Like it so much!
Primary laptop for me.TouchPad so sensitive like iPad and iPhone.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
First reason-integration of OSX with iOS and the build quality,trust in :apple: and being a first time OSX user,just love it over Win7.And MBA is pretty darn good value for money too !

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
First reason-integration of OSX with iOS and the build quality,trust in :apple: and being a first time OSX user,just love it over Win7.And MBA is pretty darn good value for money too !

Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I would say the OS and resale value, and yes the 11" is just too cool...in a car world comparison..the 11" is like a Fiat X1/9 for those who remember it, I have owned 2 of those pupsters....100% pure fun...limited, yes, only holds 2 people yes....BUT all the excitment of a small Ferrari...YES...and that is their quote.

The MBA 11" truly is the Fiat X1/9:D

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The 11" is a nifty little device... but I just dont understand: when you are spending $1k anyway... why not pay a couple hundred more for a much (relatively speaking) bigger screen? (not to mention twice the HD space)

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The 11" is a nifty little device... but I just dont understand: when you are spending $1k anyway... why not pay a couple hundred more for a much (relatively speaking) bigger screen? (not to mention twice the HD space)

I think people who choose the 11" over the 13" do so for the ultra-portability. You can really take the 11" anywhere you could take an IPAD, whereas the 13" is another jump up in size. I pull out my 11" Air in places where even a 13" would struggle to fit. The 11" is just small enough to be almost invisible to people, it just goes beyond that size barrier that makes it something you can take anywhere. A woman could easily put a 11" Air in most purses whereas a 13" wouldn't fit in most. There's no bag I use for carrying stuff around the 11" won't fit in. It will fit in places a 13" just won't. This is NO way a dig on the 13", it's just a viewpoint on why a person might choose the 11" instead. I do miss the longer battery life, but honestly I've never had the 11" down below 45% yet.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I think people who choose the 11" over the 13" do so for the ultra-portability. You can really take the 11" anywhere you could take an IPAD, whereas the 13" is another jump up in size. I pull out my 11" Air in places where even a 13" would struggle to fit. The 11" is just small enough to be almost invisible to people, it just goes beyond that size barrier that makes it something you can take anywhere. A woman could easily put a 11" Air in most purses whereas a 13" wouldn't fit in most. There's no bag I use for carrying stuff around the 11" won't fit in. It will fit in places a 13" just won't. This is NO way a dig on the 13", it's just a viewpoint on why a person might choose the 11" instead. I do miss the longer battery life, but honestly I've never had the 11" down below 45% yet.

Touche. I wasn't trying to shove my opinion down anyone's throat, I just feel from a financial standpoint, and using it as one's main computer, a 13" makes more sense.

But I totally see why someone who travels a lot would want the ultimate in portability.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Let me guess, u always order the Happy Meal because for another 50c u get fries too no matter how full ur. ^)

Once I bough a shoes 1/2 size bigger because it was on sales. Couldn't pass it up. After painful blisters I end up throwing it away and re-buy the correct size at retail. Lesson?

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I've had an 11" for over a year now, and absolutely love, and just bought my wife the new 13" MBA, and now I see what the fuss is about. I would have no issue purchasing a 13" for my next one, as they are also a great system. AWESOME battery life... something I may consider if they don't improve the 11" battery life. I just really love the ultra-portability, that's all.... :rolleyes:

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Let me guess, u always order the Happy Meal because for another 50c u get fries too no matter how full ur. ^)

Once I bough a shoes 1/2 size bigger because it was on sales. Couldn't pass it up. After painful blisters I end up throwing it away and re-buy the correct size at retail. Lesson?

The lesson for you is to make better examples next time, because those sucked.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I went though the same process some years ago. I tried to buy a windows laptop to replace one that had died and I just couldn't find anything decent. As is common out there, I had an irrational hate for Apple, but after reading impartial reviews and giving my head a shake I tried a unibody when they first came out and I was completely blown away. But as far as the air being the best machine, it depends on a lot of factors. I personally sold mine and went for the 15 inch retina, and I also have 2 27 inch iMacs. But I'm a software developer. So I have different needs. Anyhow, enjoy your new discovery.

beysus

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
My old Sony laptop which is actually of great quality just wasn't portable enough (battery died after 6 months, it's a 15,4" screen, too heavy with 2.8kg). Of course it wasn't the fastest machine either now so I needed something new. I looked at all the laptops in the stores and found them so cheap: screen sucks, keyboard feels weird, the whole thing makes noises when you press somewhere too hard, things like that. So in order to get something of more quality I would have at least spend 1000 Euro on a Windows computer.

My sister was in need of a new laptop last year and she first wouldn't want a Mac, so she got a 900€ Sony. (I always told her to get a MacBook but she didn't want to.) One day in use: it was making some weird noise and one key fell off. I always thought you could rely on Sony devices but that was a true bummer. So she returned it and got finally a MacBook Pro and she absolutely loves it.

This summer it was finally my turn to get a new laptop. I always thought I'd get a MacBook Pro as well but then when Apple introduced the new Air I was like: "Damn, this beautifully slim thing got now enough power and space!" So I ended up getting the MacBook Air and I know it was the best choice made.

The OS actually helps the User and I've had no troubles yet with the Air recognizing devices etc.

A few years ago I wouldn't have bought a Apple laptop cause I couldn't justify getting a laptop with comparable less power and storage and not sooo many software to run. But things definitely changed over the years and I'm happy with my purchase.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Being a relatively long-time OS X user I absolutely HATE the OS X/iOS integration.

Anything in particular? We have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, and no matter how hard I try to sync the calendars, something is always missing and I've stopped trusting it for anything important.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Agree with you big time on this. They are two different animals; let's keep them separate. What's intuitive on a phone or a tablet, is not necessarily so on a desktop. We're definitely not getting the best of both worlds.

"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user". Tim Cook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.