Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Raisen223
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Bootcamp is driving me nuts, please help!

First, I tried it with Windows XP Professional, with SP3 integrated. That didn't work. Then I discovered that Windows XP is no longer supported, so i quietly switch to Windows 7 Ultimate. That didn't work either, it keeps telling me that "The Install disc could not be verified", even though I've used this image burning software, http://discoapp.com/ to burn the Windows at 1x speed, in order to ensure that it works. I'm currently exhausted and I suffer from headaches due to the amount of time that I've spent on bootcamp, always failing in the end. Now please, you people are my last hope. I need a foolproof way to finally make a partition for Windows on my iMac. If anyone could help me do this, then I'm going to to type your name on a piece of paper, laminate it, then put it up on the wall and pray to it and offer sacrifices to it. I'm that desperate.
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
What happens if you use a genuine Windows 7 DVD?
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Raisen223
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
What happens if you use a genuine Windows 7 DVD?
Define "genuine", (needs activation, real CD, what exactly?)
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Genuine, a DVD actually manufactured by Microsoft with Windows 7 on it.
Comes in a box something like this.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Raisen223
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Genuine, a DVD actually manufactured by Microsoft with Windows 7 on it.
Comes in a box something like this.
Image
To be completely honest with you, no; I didn't. However, i do have a genuine CD key, I thought that maybe if I got it from "other sources" and then used the CD key, that it would be fine.
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 PM   #6
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Buy a better brand of DVD-R? are you using a mac to burn your windows DVD? could be a wonky DVD drive.

I have had multiple Windows DVDs fail and then install next time I tried it, it's completely hit or miss sometimes, especially on iMacs for some reason.
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Raisen223
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
Buy a better brand of DVD-R? are you using a mac to burn your windows DVD? could be a wonky DVD drive.

I have had multiple Windows DVDs fail and then install next time I tried it, it's completely hit or miss sometimes, especially on iMacs for some reason.
Yeah, I've heard about how mac utterly fails when it coes to burning DVDs and CDs. Anyways, I'll try getting a brand new DVD-R instead of using my old ones and I'll try seeing my luck by burning it on my Windows laptop instead, then use it on iMac desktop. If that fails, then I really don't know any other solutions to follow.
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:50 AM   #8
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 View Post
Yeah, I've heard about how mac utterly fails when it coes to burning DVDs and CDs. Anyways, I'll try getting a brand new DVD-R instead of using my old ones and I'll try seeing my luck by burning it on my Windows laptop instead, then use it on iMac desktop. If that fails, then I really don't know any other solutions to follow.
If you know someone you can borrow a USB DVD drive from that can work better or at least more reliably than the one in the mac.

I guided a friend through the whole thing on his iMac and he had had the windows install fail 3 times before it finally worked.

If you need any other help for when the DVD actually works I made a step by step guide you can read here: http://dualbootmac.wordpress.com/boo...for-beginners/
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Raisen223
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
If you know someone you can borrow a USB DVD drive from that can work better or at least more reliably than the one in the mac.

I guided a friend through the whole thing on his iMac and he had had the windows install fail 3 times before it finally worked.

If you need any other help for when the DVD actually works I made a step by step guide you can read here: http://dualbootmac.wordpress.com/boo...for-beginners/
Thank you for your guide, I'll try to refer to it every now and then. The real problem is that I can't even get past the partitioning part, since the verification of my disc always keeps failing.
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:30 AM   #10
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 View Post
Thank you for your guide, I'll try to refer to it every now and then. The real problem is that I can't even get past the partitioning part, since the verification of my disc always keeps failing.
What model of mac are you using? also what year was it? It's not by any chance a 2009 iMac is it?
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:43 AM   #11
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
If you have a broken DVD player you can always make a USB stick installer from a win7 image.
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.2
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
1. you don't need that discoapp for burning.

2. open disk utility. Select the burn icon. choose the iso image you have downloaded. say ok.

3. make sure the image you have downloaded is an actual genuine windows 7 iso and not some tampered with installation on a torrent website.

You can download it from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

This version will allow you to licence it with whatever licence you have.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Raisen223
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Sorry for not replying back for a while. I got so carried away that it worked that I even forgot about this thread. I don't know if it was whether the DVDs which I've used were a bit wonky or it was ImgBurn which did the trick or what, but when I burnt a brand new DVD in Windows using ImgBurn, it worked. Also, thanks for the very nice installation guide, it helped me while installing. Thank you all guys!
Raisen223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Sync Problem driving me nuts... serratedauto iOS 7 0 Sep 29, 2013 06:01 PM
This lack of sorting is driving me nuts? JakobAloudMadge Mac Basics and Help 2 Jul 25, 2013 03:12 PM
Ghost of an IP past...driving us NUTS! OldManEmu Mac Basics and Help 3 Jul 8, 2013 10:38 AM
Mac Mail Driving Me Nuts Cuechick OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Feb 21, 2013 12:40 PM
screensaver driving me nuts dowser81 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Nov 8, 2012 05:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC