Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I ordered a 27" iMac shortly after they were announced as available for sell. I waited for a month or so, and then today found out that my order had been cancelled.

At this point I'm really questioning whether all this waiting for a computer is really worth it. Mind you, I don't have a problem for waiting in general, but for some context, here's my story with the 2012 iMac.

I've been needing to get a new desktop system and in January of 2012 I decided that this time I'd go with an iMac (I've had Macs before, had Dells, had lots of different types of computers over the years). Well, everyone said, "WAIT don't buy an iMac now, they'll have a new one out in a few weeks..." and you all know the story from there.

I've been waiting for a new computer for about a year now, and I'm thinking this hasn't really been worth it: over $2000 and a year of waiting seems like a lot for an All-in-One computer, does it not?

Yullover

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Reorder it... But this time directly with apple and not with a reseller... You have more chance to receive it. Ok the wait can be long but not passing by a reseller, you are sure to have it.

Or, if you can't wait order something else !!!

I will receive mind tommorow and like you i'm waiting 1 year to finally have it.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Until you gives us more info regarding why the order was cancelled we can really give you any meaningful input.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
That's okay, I think I was posting more to complain than anything else now that I think about it. After all, what could anyone really say about; I either reorder or I don't.

I just need to make my decision again. When the item was on order the decision was made, when given a second chance I have to start asking myself, "Was all of this really worth it?"

Sorry to bother you all with it.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
If you buy the imac, at least you will have waited for something. If you go windows, you literally waited an entire year for nothing.

Me personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near Windows 8. That thing is a giant piece of caca. Not exactly a great sign when the head of the windows team gets fired a few weeks after it's release. That company is in a death spiral.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
You still haven't given the reason why it cancelled. Curious minds would like to know now.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I do not know why it was cancelled yet; I sent an email, we'll see what they say.

Me personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near Windows 8. That thing is a giant piece of caca. Not exactly a great sign when the head of the windows team gets fired a few weeks after it's release. That company is in a death spiral.

To me OSX doesn't play a big role in the decision; it's not that great of an OS really. Many people still end up installing Windows on their machines as a secondary system or virtual machine.

The real selling point, at least from my perspective, of the iMac is that it is a decent AIO. There are plenty of decent desktops, from a wide variety of manufacturers (not even counting custom builds), but AIO options are far worse.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
The real selling point, at least from my perspective, of the iMac is that it is a decent AIO.

Arguably it is the BEST AIO out there, especially the 27 model. Dell XPS 27 One is the only other realistic competitor and I think it's a runner up. The touch version has it's advantages but that is a bit of a different experience. No other AIO comes close.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Arguably it is the BEST AIO out there, especially the 27 model. Dell XPS 27 One is the only other realistic competitor and I think it's a runner up. The touch version has it's advantages but that is a bit of a different experience. No other AIO comes close.

This is my view. I considered the XPS One27 for quite a while (esp. when it seemed as though Apple wasn't going to put out an iMac in 2012), but then I decided that the 27" iMac was the better choice. So I still lean that way, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing.

I figure I'll probably end up reordering (I'll need to figure out if I want to make any changes to my order I suppose), but I do wish there were other options.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
This is my view. I considered the XPS One27 for quite a while (esp. when it seemed as though Apple wasn't going to put out an iMac in 2012), but then I decided that the 27" iMac was the better choice. So I still lean that way, I'm just frustrated with the whole thing.

I figure I'll probably end up reordering (I'll need to figure out if I want to make any changes to my order I suppose), but I do wish there were other options.

So your frustration is also with the PC world for not making better All in Ones? That's not Apples fault.

I for one don't think your a troll but your logic and vagueness a little hard to follow.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I originally ordered without Fusion, but I'm second-guessing my decision on this point. Hmmm...

Also, I'm wondering if I place another order whether it really will be filled in January, of if maybe I should try shopping for an iMac locally and see if I get lucky (naturally I didn't bother with this before because I already had one on order).

----------

So your frustration is also with the PC world for not making better All in Ones? That's not Apples fault.

I for one don't think your a troll but your logic and vagueness a little hard to follow.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't think ANY of this is Apple's fault. It's not their fault that they have a product that people want to buy (largely the reason it is hard to get an iMac right now)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
maybe you should have given the info you have posted in this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1513970/

Yes, probably so, sorry. I really didn't think it even mattered. My question was never, "Why was my order canceled," or a rant of, "Those evil people at Apple!" I was just venting my own frustration and indecision.

In reality, this thread has probably gone on long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i havent had the best of luck on the AIO computers for windows either. I wanted to pick up a AIO for my sister for christmas. She doesnt know osx so I browsed BestBuy and found a dell AIO. It said it had a core i5 8g of ram 1 tb hard drive. the price was 799. I thought to myself its a bit high for a only a core i5 but maybe because its an AIO. whatever so I order it. The order email came and the email just stated an invoice number. no specs at all in writing. 4 weeks later I get the pickup order and I click the link on the pickup order for the stock id that i ordered and it pulls up a webpage stating core i3. wtf. there was an error and they fixed the website at some point. Im not paying 800 usd for a core i3 so I had to cancel. I dont care if they says errors are not their fault that pissed me off. Should have known when they never sent the specs in the order detail receipt. Never again will I order a desktop from bestbuy.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
In that case, you are just wasting your money on an imac.

Eh, I disagree. I never said that OSX was terrible, that I wouldn't use a computer with OSX; I'm just saying that I don't think it is anything special.

As stated earlier, the iMac is a decent machine in its own right: if it had been manufactured by some company other than Apple it would still be a 27" IPS display with a good video card and decent processor (all in an attractive casing). That's still worth a fair bit, and there aren't a lot of other machines with the same credentials on offer.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Eh, I disagree. I never said that OSX was terrible, that I wouldn't use a computer with OSX; I'm just saying that I don't think it is anything special.

As stated earlier, the iMac is a decent machine in its own right: if it had been manufactured by some company other than Apple it would still be a 27" IPS display with a good video card and decent processor (all in an attractive casing). That's still worth a fair bit, and there aren't a lot of other machines with the same credentials on offer.

Go with the windows machine. Yo have no use for an imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.