Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I'm thinking of making the following changes and wanted to hear what you guys think:

1. 4S to 5: I definitely like the smaller screen on the 4S, but I'm excited at the prospect of changing to something new. Are the performance gains noticeable?

2. iPad 4 to Mini: iPad 4 is not too bad, but I do find it rather cumbersome when using it in bed. I initially bought it over the Mini because of color accuracy and processing power, but it turns out that I use f.lux on it so color accuracy is not that important. I mostly surf the Internet anyway so processing power is not that important. Also smaller form would probably be better to use in bed, ensuring that I use my iPad more. Not to mention selling the 4 would help pay for the 4S to 5 change. Is the difference in pixel density between the Mini and the 4 really that noticeable? How does the pixel density on the Mini compare to the Thunderbolt Display at normal viewing distance?

3. 15" rMBP to Air: Most hesitant about this change, but rMBP might be overpowered for me. I mostly use my machine with Thunderbolt Display for word processing and Internet based research (usually 50+ tabs open with Spotify, Reeder and other apps open). I do play Civ 5 and the Retina is superb for that, but I really shouldn't be gaming (I should be concentrating on grad school...). So... is the rMBP really that much more future proof than the Air? Screen considerations are not really that important because I mostly use it at my desk with the Thunderbolt Display. Selling the rMBP would also help pay for the 4S to 5 change.

Help!

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Unless you're desperate to change I'd wait for the 5S and ipad mini 2.

The Air should be due for a refresh too.

If it was my money, I wouldnt waste it now.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Unless you're desperate to change I'd wait for the 5S and ipad mini 2.

The Air should be due for a refresh too.

If it was my money, I wouldnt waste it now.

Do you expect there'll be a significant difference? If I wait until the new ones come out, I'll probably get less for my current tech. Also, I don't really need the latest gadgets... (yes I do, but well).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You're going to have to look around to find a 5 that is jailbreakable, same with the iPad Mini. So I'd stay put for now.

And honestly, once you get the Air, you will probably regret it. You'll still end up playing games on it anyway. Maybe choppy, but still playable.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
You're going to have to look around to find a 5 that is jailbreakable, same with the iPad Mini. So I'd stay put for now.

And honestly, once you get the Air, you will probably regret it. You'll still end up playing games on it anyway. Maybe choppy, but still playable.

Sigh, you're right that I'll probably regret getting the Air. When I first moved from the 17 inch MBP I got the Air, but then quickly regretted not having the dedicated graphics chips and a larger screen. But it was really light and the screen isn't really a consideration now that I have the Thunderbolt Display.

Aren't all devices jailbreakable using Evasi0n? Do you mean that if I buy a new 5 of Mini it'll probably have the new, unbrakeable iOS?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Sigh, you're right that I'll probably regret getting the Air. When I first moved from the 17 inch MBP I got the Air, but then quickly regretted not having the dedicated graphics chips and a larger screen. But it was really light and the screen isn't really a consideration now that I have the Thunderbolt Display.

Aren't all devices jailbreakable using Evasi0n? Do you mean that if I buy a new 5 of Mini it'll probably have the new, unbrakeable iOS?

So you ALREADY had the Air and are now thinking about going back?! You need a lie down man! :D

And yeah, your chances of getting a 6.1.2 device get slimmer and slimmer by the day. But I would really wait for 5S. It's not that much farther away. You're going to kick yourself if you have the 5 and that comes out with something impressive and exclusive to it.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Do you expect there'll be a significant difference? If I wait until the new ones come out, I'll probably get less for my current tech. Also, I don't really need the latest gadgets... (yes I do, but well).

No one knows what changes will be made outside of Apple. Your existing hardware is still great, it's whether you want or need to upgrade. It's true you will get a little less once the newer ones come out, but apple products still hold their value and many don't like the form factor of the 5 so may prefer buying a second hand 4S.

I'd never swap a retina ipad for a non retina mini though. I'd definitely wait to see what drops with the mini 2.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I'm thinking of making the following changes and wanted to hear what you guys think:
. . .

2. iPad 4 to Mini: iPad 4 is not too bad, but I do find it rather cumbersome when using it in bed. I initially bought it over the Mini because of color accuracy and processing power, but it turns out that I use f.lux on it so color accuracy is not that important. I mostly surf the Internet anyway so processing power is not that important. Also smaller form would probably be better to use in bed, ensuring that I use my iPad more. Not to mention selling the 4 would help pay for the 4S to 5 change. Is the difference in pixel density between the Mini and the 4 really that noticeable? How does the pixel density on the Mini compare to the Thunderbolt Display at normal viewing distance?
. . .

Playing with a Mini in the store made me realize I didn't want one. It was no easier to hold than the full sized one due to my short fingers. I can't palm it so I'm holding it just like my iPad3. Someone with longer fingers can hold it like a phone and it's more comfortable. Something to try with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.