Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
With iOS 7 in usage you can see how much space you have taken with saved messages. I have 42 MB and I am trying to free up as much space as I can. Anyway to delete this stuff without resetting the phone?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
They are still saved in the phone so they can be accessed with Spotlight, did you not know this?

Is that a glitch with iOS 7? Cause I've yet to try deleting messages after installing it. I dumped Beta 2 and went back to 6.1.4 til Beta 3 comes out.

I know when deleting messages in iOS 6 they actually go away and I get space back.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Is that a glitch with iOS 7? Cause I've yet to try deleting messages after installing it. I dumped Beta 2 and went back to 6.1.4 til Beta 3 comes out.

I know when deleting messages in iOS 6 they actually go away and I get space back.

This occurred in all version of iOS. The only way I know of deleting it would be to reset the phone or.. jailbreaking, but I don't want to.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
This occurred in all version of iOS. The only way I know of deleting it would be to reset the phone or.. jailbreaking, but I don't want to.

I'm not aware of that. I got 3GB of space back when I removed all of mine the other week. All I did was delete each one in the message app and reboot. When I plugged into iTunes my "Other" space dropped 3GB.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

I have the same issue on my iPhone 5 when iOS 6 came out. It was fixed in a later version, like 6.1 I believe, but for me, it came back. My iCloud backups were growing too rapidly, even with deleting messages, so I had to go back to iTunes backups.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Doesn't look like anyone could find a solution.

I guess the only thing to do is to reset..? Urgh..

Why can't Apple fix these small things..? Why is it so difficult for them..

It's a beta. The second beta to be exact. Give it a bit man. Come on now :)

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It's a beta. The second beta to be exact. Give it a bit man. Come on now :)

Oh yeah, forgot that iOS has been in Beta since its inception my bad.

What should I rollback to? 6? Oh, doesn't work there. 5? Nope, still not far back enough. 4? 3? LOL

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
he has a point. You can't delete it in iOS6 either.

I've never had a problem deleting them and the space used being freed up. I think it has to do with a glitch on his phone with how he restored/backed up. A few people have/had this issue with iOS 7. I don't have the issue and did not have it before iOS 7 either. All messages deleted are removed, not searchable and free up any space they took.

----------

Oh yeah, forgot that iOS has been in Beta since its inception my bad.

What should I rollback to? 6? Oh, doesn't work there. 5? Nope, still not far back enough. 4? 3? LOL

Because this will help resolve your problem. :rolleyes:

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I've never had a problem deleting them and the space used being freed up. I think it has to do with a glitch on his phone with how he restored/backed up. A few people have/had this issue with iOS 7. I don't have the issue and did not have it before iOS 7 either. All messages deleted are removed, not searchable and free up any space they took.

----------

Because this will help resolve your problem. :rolleyes:

Being for real? Because in every version of iOS, Messages are still saved for Spotlight.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Being for real? Because in every version of iOS, Messages are still saved for Spotlight.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not on my phone. Just tested it. Deleted a conversation and it's not finding it now. It shows the name under messages but doesn't open anything. Previous messages I deleted are not found in spotlight at all. I think it updates after a certain time frame but it does delete.

Aromain

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
It finally worked!

I deleted and sync'd and power up and down..... some of it worked but not everything.... esp not the biggest offenders.

What works for those was to go into the actual message / conversation and hold down on one of the photos or text bubbles. next where copy and all that pops up, select More

then the option to select line items and delete will come up. In the upper left corner Delete all is an option, use that.... the persons name will remain but it will be blank. It finally put a dent in my 3+GB issue and I'm down to almost nothing in the way of 'Saved messages" taking up space.

Dromero101

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
iBackupBot Saved me

I had 5G of "other" on IOS6 which turned to 5G of "messages (Saved)" in IOS7. After a day of research I downloaded iBackupBot (the free trial. I used it to edit my latest iphone backup then I restored my iphone from that backup. Now I have my 5G back! I hope this helps everybody!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
- Make a backup in iTunes
- open iBackupBot
- go to the relevant backup
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)
- sort by filename by clicking the Filename tab
- go to MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments and highlight all of them.

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!

Reactions: cliffster82

Teknowledgee

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
- open iBackupBot
- hit Other Multimedia Files (you might have to click on the tab afterwards, in case it goes straight to camera roll instead)

Now you can delete them all by right-clicking and choosing delete (you might want to export them first, up to you), close iBackupBot and restore to backup in iTunes.

Tadaa! Space recovered, texts/SMS/messages (whatever you call them) still there!

HAFR, thanks for this post, this was right on the money. Best answer I have seen to this question after lots of searching. Worked like a charm, free'd up 3.5 gig, and better yet got access to some photos and videos from SMS that I never saved. Thanks again.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
- open iBackupBot

I tried this. I got as far as

I did that, got the files deleted. BUT, now when I try to "Restore Backup" in iTunes, I keep getting a message telling me I don't have enough free space on my phone. I go into Useage and I have about 650MB free. And I would think the backup I am trying to restore is smaller than what's already on the phone considering I deleted all of those files.

I tried it several times, restarted both iTunes and my phone several times.

Help?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
With iOS 7 in usage you can see how much space you have taken with saved messages. I have 42 MB and I am trying to free up as much space as I can. Anyway to delete this stuff without resetting the phone?

Jailbreak and run iCleaner Pro. :)

chemman14

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
- open iBackupBot

I registered just to say THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS!! omg this was annoying the hell out of me. Glad I FINALLY got it fixed. Down to 450 megs from 9.6 gigs! Again thank you SO much!

thssblsht

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
I came here to say...well...certainly NOT thank you. My phone is stuck in some kind of a reboot loop after restoring from that backup. Great. DFU it is.
Don't trust this guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.