Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I have a slight intention to purchase a refurbished iPad just to save a few bucks. But I was warned by people whom I told them about that the refurbished iPads have the tendency for whichever parts it was refurbished to break again. So they believe that the refurbished iPads are likely to break again soon even after repair.

Yes I know, even if it breaks, refurbished iPads do have a one year warranty. But it's a lot of trouble and downtime to get things fixed at apple stores. The queue, insisting them to honour the warranty, etc etc.

I haven't bought any refurbished items from Apple yet. Anyone has any experience with refurbished apple products, particularly with iPads? Do refurbished iPads give a lot of problems after some time?

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Yes, perceptually, it is new. And I don't really mind having a refurbished set for saving a few bucks. My only concern is if it does really break easily again like what some have told me.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I bought a refurbished 27" iMac from Apple in 2010. Out of the computers I've had since 5th grade, it's the best one.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
They're practically new but can't sell them as such.
I've purchased most of my apple products refurbished and if there's anything wronging comes with the same warranty as new and you can get AppleCare for refurbed items as well..so it's a no brainer

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I have a refurb iPod nano and you couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new one.

Basically, Apple takes the products that customers returned that they didn't like and gut them. They test all the internal components to make sure they are good as new and then put them in a brand new outer casing. You still get the warranty and everything too, the only major difference is you don't get the fancy box the new ones come in.

Definitely recommended if you want to save a few bucks. You won't know the difference once you take it out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.