Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey guys

I got my first iPad 3 last year and love it, however I want something smaller that can easily fit in my small hands i know that the mini offers this however the question is the guts same or are the specs slower than that of the regular ipad, I am planning to hold off until a retina mini hits the shelf, however until than any differences any one can point out between the two will be helpful in my decision to get one.

Cheers

edrainkona

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Got an iPad mini at launch and love it. I had an iPad 2 previously, and the processing specs are the same for it, so I didn't really notice any difference. You may notice some difference with intensive applications though. To me, reading magazines and books on the iPad mini is much better compared to the full size iPad. The iPad mini retina probably won't hit shelves until late Q3 of this year. If it matters at all, the resolution on the mini is the exact same as on the iPad 2, just in a smaller size.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I believe the iPad mini has many of the same internals as the iPad 2. I had the iPad 2 almost two years ago, but I ended up selling it because I didn't use it much and couldn't justify the cost. I just purchased a mini though, and I really like it. It's easier to justify the cost (for me).

I had received a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas from someone last month, and I tried it out for a bit. The interface was pretty, but it was nothing like an iPad. I found it difficult to do basic tasks, and syncing things was obviously much more difficult since I already use iTunes with my iPhone. So I sold it and used the money for the mini.

The screen resolution isn't as good on the mini, but it's a much better device overall. I love the lighter weight and smaller footprint compared to the original iPad as well.

It does kind of suck going from a 64GB iPhone to a 16GB iPad however, but it isn't that bad. Still not sure if iTunes Match is worth it for me since I probably won't use it.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have both the iPad 3 and a Mini and love them both. The mini is much easier for me to hold for longer sessions and it gets used about 90% of the time. The lack of retina doesn't bother me in the least. My Kindle Fire found a new home with my nephew I'm happy to say. The Mini even in its present form is just a better experience IMHO. The Mini also recharges much quicker using Apples new 12w charger. I was forever waiting for the iPad 3 to recharge.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Ive only had mine for about a week, but the mini's form factor makes all the difference in the world. The screen isn't the greatest, but it's certainly sharper than my iPad2 or my old iPhone 3GS.

Overall it's a great device and find myself using it a lot.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I currently have both an iPad 3 and a mini. As far as performance goes, what I notice the most is Safari tabs. The mini reloads tabs much more frequently than the 3. I can keep 3-4 tabs open on my 3 and switch among them without waiting for any of them to reload, but on the mini, they'll reload. I consider it an acceptable trade off because the mini is so much lighter and easier to carry. Also, the mini tends to keep only 2-3 background apps open, while on the 3, I'd sometimes come back to an app hours later and find it still open. So the performance difference is there. Whether or not it is important to you is up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.