Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Then maybe we can discuss this thing without me sounding so misinformed.

This is the internet, well ok, Internet. You have to set your expectations lower. It's really easy to call names and use fallacies of logic in the age of Google and message boards. Make well articulated posts, avoid calling names, and be capable of logically defending your points? That's CRAZY talk!! :eek:

Haters will be haters for the sake of hating. "Apple didn't..." "Apple won't..." "Apple can't..." It's logical laziness. Come up with a great idea. 100 people will come up with reasons it won't work. 1 guy will say, "Great idea, and here's a tweak" (that will be brilliant as well). Problems are: it's only 1 in 100, and he's probably not trolling Internet message boards.

So, cue Apple board meeting. Cook states, "Hey we've got some great ideas..." 100 people (figuratively speaking of course) have chimed in how horrible, incapable, incompetent, blah, blah, blah, naseaous vomit follows. Fortunately a few noticed that on one hand Apple has innovated (the personal computer) with various results, however the majority recently have been successful (desktops, laptops, and "notebooks"). And you're correct that they can also take an existing segment and destroy most competitors (iPhone). Blackberry was king and a new smartphone was laughed at when a "personal computer" company announced entering the market.

Just as, everyone laughed at Microsoft when they went toe-to-toe with Nintendo and Sony.

How'd that play out?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Okay Mr.I'm-so-good-at-reading-comprehension, please tell me what was the point of your original post

"No matter how ya slice it - Watches and TVs aren't new categories. Maybe new to Apple. Not to civilization."

Then maybe we can discuss this thing without me sounding so misinformed.

How about taking it at face value?

Watches is a category that exists already. So is TV. They aren't new. Maybe they will be new to Apple's product line. But they aren't new markets.

The point of my post? To comment on Cook's quote and to question whether or not the two rumored products that are coming "soon" are in fact what Cook was referring to - or if there was something else. Because it was vague at best.

And the comment wasn't directed at you specifically. But those who have taken what I said and tried to twist it into something I didn't say.

I didn't say anything about phones, mp3 players and other devices and how Apple has done with them. Nor about successes or failures in product categories. And so on.

It would be similar to me saying "I paid my taxes today" and someone replying back "You've never paid taxes before?"

----------

This is the internet, well ok, Internet. You have to set your expectations lower. It's really easy to call names and use fallacies of logic in the age of Google and message boards. Make well articulated posts, avoid calling names, and be capable of logically defending your points? That's CRAZY talk!! :eek:

I agree. If you're going to counter or argue with someone - you should make sure you understand what they are saying before starting to type. Part of posting logically is not using straw men or twisting something someone said into something they didn't and then posting commentary as if it were relevant to the person you're responding to.

Better to just post an original post in the thread that "reply" to someone if you just want to state an opinion.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
How about taking it at face value?

I didn't say anything about phones, mp3 players and other devices and how Apple has done with them. Nor about successes or failures in product categories. And so on.

I sort of get your point. But I was trying to say that even though Apple never really invented any new categories(ok, maybe personal computing in the 1980s), but by viewing them as new categories they actually created these new "categories" in existing categories.(It's sort of hard to phrase, but I hope you get my point)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I sort of get your point. But I was trying to say that even though Apple never really invented any new categories(ok, maybe personal computing in the 1980s), but by viewing them as new categories they actually created these new "categories" in existing categories.(It's sort of hard to phrase, but I hope you get my point)

I do. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.