Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

77sunsetstrip

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
INTERVIEW WITH YOUNG SOHN, PRESIDENT AND CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER OF SAMSUNG.

QUESTION: Can you say more about why these technology categories are so important?

SOHN: "OK, so think about Apple compared to Samsung. I use a Mac, actually, at home. I’ve always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I also have the Galaxy. So I’m a great example.

If you look at the strengths of Apple, in a way it’s not the product per se. It’s that consumers like their ecosystem such as iCloud. I like that my family 6,000 miles away in Korea is able to see my schedule and see all of my contacts and photos. It is sticky, but it is a proprietary architecture.

Look at your phone [pointing to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus]. It’s a better phone, in my view. It’s a better display. It’s faster. But eventually the connected ecosystem is really critical.

I think we have probably the largest platform in the world between the devices and displays and televisions we sell. We actually provide more devices that are interacting with consumers than anyone in the world. But if you think about our experiences, it’s device-centric. It’s experienced by itself. It’s not experienced in a connected way. So we think we can provide a lot more things than what we are doing today with an open ecosystem with our partners."

QUESTION: Wait, you are still using Apple products?

"At work I’m using Samsung devices; Apple at home, mainly because all of my systems and files are done that way. That’s sticky, you know? However, I did figure out how to sync all of my contacts and all of my schedules between the two different systems. You can do it. It’s a bit of work, but it is possible."

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...rn-samsung-into-a-silicon-valley-trendsetter/

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I don't see how this is bad. All tech companies should use competitor's products to see why they are competitive products.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
It's hilarious to realize that the heads of each of these corporations care less about "us vs. them" than most of their consumers. This isn't a holy war, people. You don't have to fight your Android or iOS opponents to the death.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Considering Samsung makes the most expensive parts in those iOS products why should it be a surprise that he uses them? ;)

Michael

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Why is this news? Why are people surprised if he uses Apple? I don't see a big deal with that. I remember a few years ago when the CEO of Ford drives a Lexus LS460 and people don't care.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
:p
enemies.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Good example of why people should use what works for them and ignore the hype.

If I was the president of Ford I'd probably other non Ford products too.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Microsoft employees almost have to use Windows Phones and Windows devices. It's like an unwritten rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.