Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi all

I've been using mountain lion since it came out. Running on a 2011 MBA, 256gb, i5 processor. Everything else runs smoothly (except sometimes Lightroom takes a while but I have a big catalog).

Every time I open my MBA and wake from sleep, iMessage hangs. Sometimes I wont even start using iMessage, but since it is frozen, the mac fan spins up and the whole computer slows down and heats up. Finally when I go into activity monitor to figure it out, I realize iMessage is not responding.

Several times now (and this is more recently) I have gotten an alert pop up saying "there is no more available memory" and then it gives me a list of active programs and iMessage is aways listed as not responding. Force quit sends everything back to normal and when I open iMessage again it is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I use it a fair amount from all my apple devices and mac.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
How much memory in the MBA anything to with pictures needs memory and lot of it to if are editing

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
It has 4gb of memory, but this error occurs even before I open Lightroom to do any editing.

It literally happened - the "you are out of system memory" alert and then subsequent "not responding" iMessage - just before I posted this (that was the last straw) and all I was doing was reading an article on a website.

perfectn64

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013

I have identical problems to you. Same MBA as well apart from only 128GB HD on mine and I have Mountain Lion. But yes every time I wake from sleep I just have to quit iMessage/Message, then open again, then it usually hangs and takes up all the RAM (>2GB when I look on Activity Monitor), so I alt+right click force quit it, then I open it again and it works fine. Pretty much without fail I need to do this everytime.

I'm sure there are a lot more people with this problem as well.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Here is a screenshot of what I had when I opened my mac for the first time today. Get your $*#t together Apple. I paid nearly $2000 for this whole computer setup. Less time suing people, more time working on your software.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 5.39.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 5.39.23 AM.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 549

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Messages for Mac takes the prize as the most glitchy, horrible piece of software Apple has released in the past year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.