Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

Trouble during tedious rebuild of my iTunes library

I recently lost my whole itunes library, & have been slowly rebuilding it, by re adding all my music, but for a couple of albums, I get a red stop sign error message saying it cant copy to music disk, the file is in use, & iTunes will not place them in the library.

I have made an attachment screen shot to show what is happening. what could be causing this? I ran a disk permissions, & it helped with a few other albums, but there are still some that are stubbornly not loading into my new library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 2.22.31 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	424979  
Sossity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I recently lost my whole itunes library, & have been slowly rebuilding it, by re adding all my music, but for a couple of albums, I get a red stop sign error message saying it cant copy to music disk, the file is in use, & iTunes will not place them in the library.

I have made an attachment screen shot to show what is happening. what could be causing this? I ran a disk permissions, & it helped with a few other albums, but there are still some that are stubbornly not loading into my new library.
Have you tried resetting the SMC?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Partron22
macrumors 6502a

Can you duplicate the troublesome album folders in Finder?
If so, have you tried adding the duplicate files rather than the originals?
Partron22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

I tried the SMC reset, it did not work, I am using the music volume in an esata dual bay enclosure, & perhaps the esata is not working well with my mac mini, or maybe those individual folders are corrupt?

@Partron22, I tried copying the troublesome albums from my external to my mac, & then tried to load them into itunes, & got the same thing, it seems to think something or someone is using them.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Partron22
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
@Partron22, I tried copying the troublesome albums from my external to my mac, & then tried to load them into itunes, & got the same thing, it seems to think something or someone is using them.
You have admin privileges?
Do a Finder 'Get info' on one of your copied files, 'Sharing & Permissions', and make sure everyone's got read and write privileges. Those do sometimes get screwed up.

You HAVE rebooted by now, I hope?
Partron22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Sossity
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have rebooted, I have since shut down & powered up since this post.

Edit; checked the permissions for those albums, & it said I had read and write.

Last edited by Sossity; Jul 30, 2013 at 02:10 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store