Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My son loves Minecraft and has it on his iPad mini from the App Store.

Does anyone know if a version exists for iMac? An official version, can't seem to find a version on the Mac App Store.

I'd rather have a bought version, not something where I have to install this from here, that from there etc.

Anyone help
Thanks

theRevIsNotDead

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Yes, Minecraft actually runs on many operating systems since it is written in Java. Almost anything can run Java.

You can purchase at the link soomster provided. Just note that Minecraft for iPad is different than Minecraft for desktops. At this current time, they don't mix. So his worlds on iPad won't transfer to desktop and vice versa. He'll have to start new ones.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
My son loves Minecraft and has it on his iPad mini from the App Store.

Does anyone know if a version exists for iMac? An official version, can't seem to find a version on the Mac App Store.

I'd rather have a bought version, not something where I have to install this from here, that from there etc.

Anyone help
Thanks

No, that version others are talking about only works on the Mac Pro, not iMac. You'll have to wait until December for that.

......:rolleyes:

why not just google minecraft mac? The first thing that comes up is Mojangs page with all the info you could ever want or need on minecraft.

On a serious note, you do realize there are many, MANY other places to get good Mac software other than the App store??

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks reason for asking and not googling is exactly the above, ie buy here, no it's not that one, its this one coming soon etc etc.

Ao it's made by different people or something is it on the iPad? I (he) was hoping they'd mix/sync. What's the version coming in Dec? from where/who?

I understand there is other places than MAS for software, it's easier to buy from there that's all, doesn't have to be though

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
When i think of Minecraft mac it makes me think of Minecraft where all the blocks are Mac Minis, Apple TVs or the old style time capsule :confused:

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks reason for asking and not googling is exactly the above, ie buy here, no it's not that one, its this one coming soon etc etc.

Ao it's made by different people or something is it on the iPad? I (he) was hoping they'd mix/sync. What's the version coming in Dec? from where/who?

I understand there is other places than MAS for software, it's easier to buy from there that's all, doesn't have to be though

He was joking about December, although that didn't seem to catch. Basically just poking fun at your classification of "for iMac" when, in reality, if it works on one kind of mac it will work on them all.

In any case the iPad version (Minecraft pocket edition) is made by the same people (Mojang) that mac the mac / PC version of the game. Same with the xbox 360 version. Basically Mojang makes all of them.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to "sync" accounts between different versions. Because the game itself is different on all versions (especially the pocket one) it would be impossible to code and have one world playable on all versions.

In any case, the link posed in the first reply is the official minecraft site. It is the only place to legally acquire the game since, technically, you buy an account and when signed in you can download the game itself.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Bought it on minecraft.net as suggested thanks. Son loving it, can't see the fascination myself though, much better than the PE version on his mini I'm reliably informed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.