Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:28 AM   #1
JOSE891
macrumors 6502a

Question Sim change on iPhone 5S now requires you to validate Apple ID used with iPhone?

Ok, so out of curiosity I put a different sim into my AT&T iPhone 5S and when I did I got a "Activation Required" screen, and it said
"This iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID (j*********@i****.com). Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPhone."

You can't bypass, even if you remove the sim card. And then it asked for my Apple ID & Password (Which I logged in with).

I just tried this on my brother's 5S as well and it does the same thing.

Does anybody know what's up with this? It seems like a cool feature incase you lose you'r 5S but didn't have Find my iPhone feature and somebody try's to put a diff Sim Card to use your iPhone.

My 5S has a password but my brother's didn't.

Have only tried this on the 5S, might be the same with the 5,4S, or 4.
Would be nice if other ppl confirm it does this on other iPhone running iOS 7.

EDIT: This was with a T-Mobile US Sim Card.

Last edited by JOSE891; Sep 25, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
JOSE891 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:15 AM   #2
mbhforum
macrumors 6502

Yes, this is a new security feature added by Apple in ios7. It is meant to discourage thieves and making phones bricks if they are stolen. Th government has been pressuring mobile vendors to implement this and Apple was the first to respond. If you try and erase your phone, you need your Apple ID first also.
mbhforum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:24 AM   #3
JOSE891
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhforum View Post
Yes, this is a new security feature added by Apple in ios7. It is meant to discourage thieves and making phones bricks if they are stolen. Th government has been pressuring mobile vendors to implement this and Apple was the first to respond. If you try and erase your phone, you need your Apple ID first also.
I knew about this while ago. But I thought it was only if you remote lock/wipe it. Didn't know it does the same thing with a Sim Change.
JOSE891 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4
mbhforum
macrumors 6502

Me neither and I'm glad you posted it. It seems to make sense that if you swap sims that some security would need to be enforced. Good job Apple.
mbhforum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
nihilisticmonk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhforum View Post
my 4S doesn't do this with a sim swap. Just switched from o2 > Three and I can swap sims without any trouble.
nihilisticmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
benguild
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilisticmonk View Post
my 4S doesn't do this with a sim swap. Just switched from o2 > Three and I can swap sims without any trouble.
I think it only does it the first time you attempt to swap it if the phone is not currently unlocked. It will attempt to reactivate, and I think any iPhone activation in general now requires an Apple ID login.

However, once the phone is unlocked successfully (after reactivating) ... you won't need to reactivate it again after swapping the SIM. Only the first time. So I think this is the only time you need to login.

In the past, if you phone is pending unlock or not unlocked, it would attempt to reactivate over iTunes or Wi-Fi. This is the same process, it just has the same Apple ID login as a system-wide security feature now.

FYI, I was prompted as well and then, when trying two other SIMs after that, I was no longer prompted. I doubt that will come back considering the phone is already activated as unlocked now.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone