Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I would like to upgrade if it works and it looks like we have two different experiences. Have the failed attempts to upgrade to the 3770 been with the 3770k or the plain 3770? I noticed in the intel site that the K version does not have the following:

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology No

I noticed that this was the same for the 2700k that I am using right now that will not boot Mountain Lion. Could it be that the OS checks for these features?

Greg

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
I would like to upgrade if it works and it looks like we have two different experiences. Have the failed attempts to upgrade to the 3770 been with the 3770k or the plain 3770? I noticed in the intel site that the K version does not have the following:

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology No

I noticed that this was the same for the 2700k that I am using right now that will not boot Mountain Lion. Could it be that the OS checks for these features?

Greg

I used a 3770 and the machine will not post, the diagnostic leds indicated a hardware error. The 2700k works but only with Lion, mountain lion get caught in a boot loop.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
great idea - shame there are so many conflicting accounts

Hello:

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I've been in contact with those (one in this thread) that have had the most success, ex/ being able to boot & use the iMac 2011 with the Core i-3700, and they've reported continuing issues/errors with new program installations/OS X updates to the point the computer is unusable.

To put it simply; unless the necessary changes are incorporated into the Lion/ML installer file, Core i-3770 DOES NOT WORK in the 2011 iMac.

As stated above, this might change as updated OS X installer files are released for the 2012 iMac models.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Hello:

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I've been in contact with those (one in this thread) that have had the most success, ex/ being able to boot & use the iMac 2011 with the Core i-3700, and they've reported continuing issues/errors with new program installations/OS X updates to the point the computer is unusable.

To put it simply; unless the necessary changes are incorporated into the Lion/ML installer file, Core i-3770 DOES NOT WORK in the 2011 iMac.

As stated above, this might change as updated OS X installer files are released for the 2012 iMac models.

Hey kennyap, aside from Hackerwayne was someone else able to get the imac to power on with a 3770?

millerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I just tried a 3770 and all I got was a black screen with diagnostic LEDs 1 and 2 on. I swapped back to the i5 and am installing ML on a USB stick to see if ML will offer an EFI update. My guess is that hackerwaynes G EFI is the ticket.

I'll continue to post any progress or lack of.

Greg

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
Hey kennyap, aside from Hackerwayne was someone else able to get the imac to power on with a 3770?

Hi R.OG:

Yes, but after boot the problems start staightaway. So I wouldn't even call that a success.
Not sure exactly what happened with Hackerwayne, but at least he was decent enough to let me know the serious problems he was encountering.

millerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Hackerwayne,

Can you help us find the bootrom you are using? You seem to have the only unit that will boot with a 3770.

Thanks,

Greg

Alekto

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Tokyo
I'll buy a 2012 base model next month and upgrade the CPU. Surely there's some sort of firmware hack? Like Hackintosh or something.

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Apparently yes if you want to stay at lion. I am currently looking to upgrade the 2500s to a 2600 but there seem to be reports https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1497867/ that it may fry the imac. Not to sure if i want to proceed. As ever if someone figures out how to crack the 3770 i7 we will be super grateful.

Oh btw i noticed hacker wayne is using a 3770s while ROG is using a 3770.
This might be why hacker wayne's is working.

SuperNeal

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Central CA
10.8.3 any difference?

I too am a mid 2011 iMac guy. I have the i5 3.1, and wanted to upgrade to the i7 3770. Was wondering if 10.8.3 made any difference. I try it if I had the i7 lying around. Anyone have a chance to test? Or is there a way to see what is in the mid 2012 iMac, and what has changed on the board -besides size- for the new machine? I know it takes the same 1155..right? Just trying to keep this thread alive as I know that to this point hackerwayne is the only one that I have seen that seems to have had any luck.

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Any updates on this thread with the 2011 iMac CPU upgrades now that Mavericks is out?

burchi

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
I just bought a 2011 iMac 27" for $600 and would really like to know if time / latest OS has solved the Ivy Bridge issue. Has anyone gotten an i7 3770S to work? Thanks!

Hi

I also have a Mid 2011 iMac 27" and was looking to see if the upgrade to Ivy Bridge i7-3770 was ever resolved so it works on these machines successfully?

Thanks in advance

Razor-G

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
Hi guys,
Does anyone has any news regarding upgrading iMacs 2011 with i7-3770?
Anyone successfull?

Thanks,
Artur

Just finished suffering attempts to run iMac 27” 2011 with Ivy Bridge i7-3770. Just nothing. Machine runs with black screen, and for a minute the cpu fan begins to be very loud. First try was on Bootcamp startup disk. Secondary I’ve swiched back my old cpu, and then selected Mountin Lion as a startup system and began to return i7-3770 again. Result is the same.
And yeah, just in case I removed AppleHWsensor.kext in OS X and it doesn’t help as I see. I also have a few newer installed OS X as El Capitan and High Sierra, but I just don’t want to try switch this processors again and plug the million of connectors because it has no sens.
Sorry for upping an old thread but I just don’t want someone to replay my bad experience.
Thank you for reading.

Update:
As result of assemblies and disassemblies I got my iMac with load fans even after returning the original processor and graphics card. It turns on, works with original parts good, but for 30-60 seconds after turning on begins to twist fans on maximum speed. I’ve checked all the cables and connectors inside for many times. All is good. I don’t know what’s a problem.

Conclusion: DON’T MAKE any update with parts that officially apple doesn’t support. It’s waste a lot of your time and nerves.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehalloran

ScunnerDarkly

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
UK
So this may be an old thread but there's still life left in these older models, and by now we should know for sure exactly what's possible with the Sandy Bridge iMacs.

It won't work. You'll need a BIOS/EFI whatever upgrade + updated kernel.

My gut instinct was exactly the same. Most Sandy Bridge-based PCs required updated BIOS/EFI to enable compatibility with Ivy Bridge CPUs.

THANK YOU hackerwayne for putting this nasty rumor to bed.

To call it a "nasty rumour" is almost a denial of logic, there are more reasons why it shouldn't work than why it should work. A retail motherboard is one thing and there's every reason why a manufacturer would want as broad compatibility as possible, the biggest reason being to maximise sales. Manufacturers of integrated systems such as Apple and Dell, among others, have little to no incentive to broaden compatibility beyond the shipping spec for obvious reasons.

Anyone who's successfully modified an integrated system beyond its original specification deserves kudos but, unless I've missed something here, there's no evidence that hackerwayne actually managed what he claimed. I'm no "hater" and I'm not decrying anyone's hard work and effort but it's not unreasonable to expect people to substantiate their claims with evidence such as "About this Mac" screenshots, as has been requested several times.

It's also sad to see people bickering about peripheral issues such as RAM speeds, some members speaking as if with great authority when they simply haven't done their homework. For example Sandy Bridge supports DRAM up to 1333MT/s and Ivy Bridge up to 1600MT/s. It's not debatable, these are Intel's own specs, and the suggestion faster RAM with work at higher rates is nonsense in the context of an iMac. Sure, faster RAM is available but the speed limits are defined by the IMC not the RAM. Possibly the most crass comment I came across was referring to someone's "dumbass MBP", which may have been off-topic but comments like that are unhelpful and don't make the community a better place.

Why am I bothering to write this? We've got an estate of 120 Mid-2011 iMacs, and given our financial constraints it would be great if a CPU upgrade was possible, even if I suspected it was unlikely. SSD and RAM upgrades have taken them a long way from their original performance level but a CPU upgrade would be icing on the cake. Sadly it doesn't look like it's as simple as dropping in an Ivy CPU and expecting it to work seamlessly, which is what most Mac users would want, especially if it could prolong the life of a machine.

Echo619

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
So this may be an old thread but there's still life left in these older models, and by now we should know for sure exactly what's possible with the Sandy Bridge iMacs.

My gut instinct was exactly the same. Most Sandy Bridge-based PCs required updated BIOS/EFI to enable compatibility with Ivy Bridge CPUs.

To call it a "nasty rumour" is almost a denial of logic, there are more reasons why it shouldn't work than why it should work. A retail motherboard is one thing and there's every reason why a manufacturer would want as broad compatibility as possible, the biggest reason being to maximise sales. Manufacturers of integrated systems such as Apple and Dell, among others, have little to no incentive to broaden compatibility beyond the shipping spec for obvious reasons.

Anyone who's successfully modified an integrated system beyond its original specification deserves kudos but, unless I've missed something here, there's no evidence that hackerwayne actually managed what he claimed. I'm no "hater" and I'm not decrying anyone's hard work and effort but it's not unreasonable to expect people to substantiate their claims with evidence such as "About this Mac" screenshots, as has been requested several times.

It's also sad to see people bickering about peripheral issues such as RAM speeds, some members speaking as if with great authority when they simply haven't done their homework. For example Sandy Bridge supports DRAM up to 1333MT/s and Ivy Bridge up to 1600MT/s. It's not debatable, these are Intel's own specs, and the suggestion faster RAM with work at higher rates is nonsense in the context of an iMac. Sure, faster RAM is available but the speed limits are defined by the IMC not the RAM. Possibly the most crass comment I came across was referring to someone's "dumbass MBP", which may have been off-topic but comments like that are unhelpful and don't make the community a better place.

Why am I bothering to write this? We've got an estate of 120 Mid-2011 iMacs, and given our financial constraints it would be great if a CPU upgrade was possible, even if I suspected it was unlikely. SSD and RAM upgrades have taken them a long way from their original performance level but a CPU upgrade would be icing on the cake. Sadly it doesn't look like it's as simple as dropping in an Ivy CPU and expecting it to work seamlessly, which is what most Mac users would want, especially if it could prolong the life of a machine.

Yup sucks, it would be nice to drop in a 3770s and take advantage of that HD4000 but it looks like from what I'm reading it's a no-go.

SKYNET-1

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2020
just pull this thread... same problem with my 8460p too, theoretically a ivy would work, because the same pin-out n the chipset officially support, but its locked by the bios from HP... sadly :(

in my 2570p and my 8570p i just put in DDR3-1866 and works out-of-the-box, think would too in a mac with a ivy, so its double dissapointing, because 38% more theoretical bandwith(i measured with 35% effective) would be give a huge boost in many applications/programs, n the latency is 10% lower with the ivy + 1866 mem, where is important when u playing games(just interesting for ppl. where put a better GPU in the mac like a GTX 770M, 780M or 880M) because the min. frames has a huge boost(up to 20%) with the lower latency...

now i will try to reflash 1600 mem with taiphoon burner and really agressive timings to 1333 @ 6-6-6-24-1T to get the maximum performance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.