|Jan 19, 2013, 12:16 PM||#1|
MacBook Pro Retina Specifications - WWDC 2013?
I'm new to this forum, I had a look around and hope my thread is ok here!
Basically, I have a 13" MacBook Pro from spring 2009 - so soon 4 years old.
It has 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA-Drive and runs OS X 10.8
There are a few flaws coming now...
1) The Super Drive (optical) doesn't work very well, reading CDs only after inserting them 10+ times or not at all - can be solved with an external one, not too much a problem.
2) I changed the usage - by now, I have Adobe Creative Suite 6, Lightroom 4 on it and use it pretty much every day and frequently. Obviously, 2GB RAM are not enough to support that, so it's basically very, very, very slow. It takes up to a minute to start anyway.
3) Being it my main computer and doing a lot of design and graphic work on it, it starts feeling smaller and I had an accident in November leaving it with a red mark in the middle of the screen visible when the background is dark. That can be irritating...
Generally, earlier or later this year, I will purchase a new MacBook Pro, so I'm not too fond of investing money into upgrading the fellow I have here.
Which leads to my questions!
The model is clear, I'll be going for a 15,4" MacBook Pro Retina.
I definitely see the difference and having tried out the screen it's a good size - enough to be portable too. If I need a bigger one, I can still think about an external screen.
I want to go for 16GB RAM too, especially since you don't seem to be able to upgrade it later.
But is the 2,3GHz to 2,6GHz worth the extra costs?
Especially regarding that I'm happy with the 256GB drive and won't need 512GB, so the price difference is a heavy 700SFr. (Swiss Francs)
I have an external drive - stationary and portable and I will start burning my work on CDs - so on the MacBook Pro there will be programs/ apps and the current work. I don't have media on it, really - so no massive music or film library, maybe one game. Basically, when finished with a project, burn it, make an extra copy on an external hard-drive and put it in an archive. I currently have around 70GB of my 160GB full, most of the programs.
However, does the 512GB not only mean more space, but more speed? And if so, how much?
I'll increase the usage of the Adobe CS6 and bigger photos and digital pictures/ paintings. I'll probably add CAD software at some point. So it comes down a lot to how fluent it can cope with the workload, especially regarding that I'll have open AI, ID or PS at the same time.
And then the other question is; I hope my MacBook Pro makes it for a while and I might want to see what comes out at the WWDC - do you think there'll be anything that might support my needs in a MacBook Pro?
Of course, if mine dies, then I'll get one, because - there's not much choice. But technically, I'd like to wait, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. What would you recommend?
I'm sorry if it went on a bit longer, but I'm very happy if someone has some input on those thoughts.
Thank you a lot!
|Jan 19, 2013, 01:11 PM||#3|
Ah, haven't thought of that option! Still quite a bit more expensive in Swiss Francs, if I look at the currency of today, Apple charges almost twice as much than they do in US-Dollars. Tss...
But I still don't know if I need it, but thank your for your input!
|Jan 19, 2013, 05:24 PM||#4|
Why don't you do yourself a favour and at least upgrade the RAM on your current machine? (esp if you are prepared to wait a bit anyway).
If the disc drive doesn't really work then I'd suggest taking that out too - and replacing it with an SSD:
For around $200 you can have essentially a brand new machine, you'll notice a difference, I promise.
New MBP next year..?
Last edited by Santabean2000; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
|Jan 20, 2013, 05:45 AM||#5|
Thank you, that's interesting, I'll have a look into it!
Waiting until next year isn't an option unfortunately, mainly because the display is broken - I've asked how much it is to repair here in Switzerland and it's a lot of money.
But your suggestion could help my MacBook Pro here.
|Feb 3, 2013, 01:52 AM||#6|
I have exactly the same machine. I upgraded the ram a while ago and it made a big difference and then the hdd to an ssd, again a big jump. However, like you I am contemplating the same upgrade to a 15" mbpr. There is something very intoning about having a screen of that resolution in a machine that ways the same as my current one. Amazing.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.