Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hi,

I'm into automotive photography and since some time videography as well.

I started recording certain videos of super sport cars where the owners are driving on empty roads outside the cities with speeds over the limit as well as drag races and burnouts. (we are making sure that noone is around and that roads are kept empty).

To not get the owners in trouble by burning rubber and driving fast I want to make their plate numbers not readable.

Can iMovie do that (automatically) once the plate number is selected and tracks that throughout the video or do I need FCP X? I hope one of the two can do that without hours of manual work and individual frame adjustment as this would take forever.

I don't k know how you call this function, but I hope that you understand what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

I'm into automotive photography and since some time videography as well.

I started recording certain videos of super sport cars where the owners are driving on empty roads outside the cities with speeds over the limit as well as drag races and burnouts. (we are making sure that noone is around and that roads are kept empty).

To not get the owners in trouble by burning rubber and driving fast I want to make their plate numbers not readable.

Can iMovie do that (automatically) once the plate number is selected and tracks that throughout the video or do I need FCP X? I hope one of the two can do that without hours of manual work and individual frame adjustment as this would take forever.

I don't k know how you call this function, but I hope that you understand what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot.

With FCPX, you don't need to do this on a frame-by-frame basis - just every keyframe and the whole (manual) blurring process is pretty fast. See the tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUBGsenrAU&feature=related

(Sorry, don't know whether iMovie can do it. I bet it can't.)

Last edited:

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Thanks for the link, I found a similar video about FCP X, but I still hope I can do it with iMovie as FCP X would be another Euro 200.00 that would need to be added to the already spend Euro 1075.00 for the new mid 2012 MBA 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.