Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have some videos that I do not want my kids to view, how can I lock some videos on the iPad that they cannot see them or play them?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If you want to auto-sync them from your iTunes library to the stock 'Videos' app then there's no way to lock specific files.

What you'll need to do is get a separate file management app like this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files-pro-document-reader/id285578660?mt=8

You have to manually copy files to it. If you have wifi you can log into it as if it were a remote computer. If you don't have wifi you can use USB and iTunes to open it like a flash drive.

Either way, you copy files in and set a password on the app itself.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Anyone know of any freeware apps for Ipad that can lock or password protect video files?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
it's not free but spend $3 and buy goodplayer or avplayerhd.

you can create a password protected folder and then you can put your private movies in there. it also makes it easier to sync movies to the ipad since you can copy movies to your ipad w/o having to use the itunes movie sync. (this is only useful if you get movies from other sources than the itunes store.)

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If the movies on your iPad have age ratings (PG-13 etc.) then you can go into the Restrictions setting and change the maximum allowable rating for the movies. Any movies rated older than your setting will disappear from your Videos app (but will remain on your iPad) until you turn off the restriction.
Not very flexible but it might work for you...

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Wow, a lot of accusations in this thread.:(

I just want to lock some videos or stop people viewing them. Anyway to do this on iPad?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I just want to lock some videos or stop people viewing them. Anyway to do this on iPad?

Not that I know of. If you don't want people to view them, don't put them on the iPad?

You may be able to store them in Dropbox, I think that will allow you to set a password.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

it's not free but spend $3 and buy goodplayer or avplayerhd.

you can create a password protected folder and then you can put your private movies in there. it also makes it easier to sync movies to the ipad since you can copy movies to your ipad w/o having to use the itunes movie sync. (this is only useful if you get movies from other sources than the itunes store.)

Someone answered your question.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
"Photo vault" has free and paid versions. The free version will lock videos away, but you need to save them to the camera roll to view them. You can then delete them again afterwards.

If you get the paid version you can watch videos in the app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.