Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Does anyone think this will ever become a reality? Why doesn't Apple allow this anyway? I can't seem to find why they don't.

I'm only asking because right now I'm living in a country where everyone uses bluetooth for sharing pictures, songs, files, videos, and ringtones. It's actually really nice and convenient. I know it sounds dumb, but I've actually started considering getting a different phone that can do bluetooth sharing like this. I'm going to go ahead and buy the iPhone 5 because I love the environment and how it works with my other Apple products, but the Samsung phones and other Android phones are starting to look more appealing.

If Apple is worried about piracy, why don't they just block the songs that are bought on the iTunes store? We all already know they are really good at that. Anyway, I've emailed Apple this suggestion, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows or thinks this could be a reality?

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I've bought an App named photo beam blue, it shares photos over bluetooth, not any other kind of files though. I also hope it can at least share contacts.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Well, that's better than nothing! I've been emailing the iPhone team suggesting they unlock these bluetooth features. They are really nice to have.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
There are many free apps that can do this, via Bluetooth, Wifi or even over the Internet. Do a search in the AppStore for "Bluetooth" or "Bluetooth File" and you'll find them.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I have done the searches. All the reviews are terrible and say they don't work. Besides that, most of them just allow photo sharing. :( Bluetooth is way different than Wifi, and since everyone is being limited now, Bluetooth would be the way to go.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I have done the searches. All the reviews are terrible and say they don't work. Besides that, most of them just allow photo sharing. :( Bluetooth is way different than Wifi, and since everyone is being limited now, Bluetooth would be the way to go.

I have used the following two free apps to transfer files via Bluetooth and Wifi.

Transfer is very easy to use, but can get clunky when you have many files to share, as it doesn't show the files in a list, but floating in space. Also the free version, while fully functional, has very in your face ads. It automatically detects other users nearby on Wifi, and has a button both users can push to send via bluetooth. Once the devices see each other you just swipe the files over.

UbiDisk is my recommended app. Once you've done an "open in" and have the file inside the app, click on the Folder icon, and click the blue arrow on the file you want to transfer. From there you can click the lightning bolt to transfer via Wifi, or the Bluetooth icon to transfer via Bluetooth.

I like this app best, because it has an HTTP server that lets you download/upload from any phone/PC/MAC...etc (hit the transfer button on the home screen to find it).

Both of these apps are free. Have fun!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm not sure people are getting the point here, iOS doesn't support the standardised Bluetooth profile for file transfers - and Apps aren't able to implement it.

If you and someone else both have the same file transfer App installed on an iOS device, you can use Bluetooth to transfer data between the two devices, within that App only

But that's not what the OP is asking for.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's the same reason you have to use third party software to transfer non-purchased music off the phone, and why you can't do things like E-mail songs to other people.

Apple is a control-freak company and likes to tell you what you can do with your media. Some people say they have to be or the music and film industry will stop licensing content to them. Others say that's just their nature. It's a long debate.

I put up with it because iOS is the most pleasant to use OS around, but it's still annoying. You can get around it with certain apps, like iFiles which I believe can transfer files this way.

Last edited:

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I'm not sure people are getting the point here, iOS doesn't support the standardised Bluetooth profile for file transfers - and Apps aren't able to implement it.

If you and someone else both have the same file transfer App installed on an iOS device, you can use Bluetooth to transfer data between the two devices.

But that's not what the OP is asking for.

Opps! I completely missed that! Thanks Daveoc64.

What the OP is asking for can be done via Jailbreak with this tweak:

http://www.if0rce.com/en/airblue-sharing-2/

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies! I don't like jailbreaking my phone, but if I have to I will do it while I'm here so I can get one of their bluetooth apps. I found a few of them that might be promising. I'll check out the other apps you mentioned as well.

I have emailed Apple in their suggestions area. I did mention that they could bar protected items like the stuff from the iTunes store. I don't see why everything else shouldn't be allowed to be sent.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Apple is a control-freak company and likes to tell you what you can do with your media. Some people say they have to be or the music and film industry will stop licensing content to them. Others say that's just their nature. It's a long debate.

Google sell media content and they allow standard Bluetooth OBEX transfers on Android plus a lot more. This is just Apple being Apple.

I believe there was once a project to make OBEX over Bluetooth work on jailbroken iPhones but I don't think it ever got out of alpha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.