Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xinweix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
I just open a sealed-in-box of iPhone 4S white version. However, the screen is so yellow tint that I don't want to look at it any more.
Is it possible that I can still go to Apple Store and ask for a replacement and if possible, i can only get a refurbished one? But mine is just brand new. I heard that refurbished ones more or less have some issues and are used.

What should I do? Thanks.:confused::confused::confused:

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I just open a sealed-in-box of iPhone 4S white version. However, the screen is so yellow tint that I don't want to look at it any more.
Is it possible that I can still go to Apple Store and ask for a replacement and if possible, i can only get a refurbished one? But mine is just brand new. I heard that refurbished ones more or less have some issues and are used.

where did you buy it?

xinweix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
if they don't allow a swap, return and repurchase.

My wife got another one which also got similar yellow tint problem. However, hers was trading with some guy who was selling it. Is she eligible for swapping?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

If you recently purchased the iphone, you can go back to the apple store and do a return/exhange. Don't go straight to the genius bar, talk to one of the salesperson, show them that you have the yellow tint and that you purchased it less than 30 days. Make sure you take everything that was included in the box. Ask them that you want to return the device and exchange it for a new one.

I've had this similar issue, it was a unlocked iphone 4S, I bought it and found out it was yellow tint, I took it back showed them my original iphone 4S with no yellow tint and showed them the one that did, both were on full brightness and the salesperson agreed it was yellow tint, so instead of refunding the money, he went to the back and got out brand new one.

Not to mention, my locked iphone 4S started with DNP, the unlocked iphone 4S that had yellow tint was C39. The exchanged iphone 4S that has no yellow tint started with DNP as well.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My wife got another one which also got similar yellow tint problem. However, hers was trading with some guy who was selling it. Is she eligible for swapping?

If that "some guy" purchased it from Apple and is within 30 days and have the receipt, yes technically you can exchange via return method. However, if she traded her device from a guy that purchased it but is over 30 days window period then you will have to replace it from the genius bar. Which can be brand new or remanufactured.

A lot of people frown upon when they hear the term or when they receive "refurbished or remanufactured." In fact, they aren't used at all. They do reuse the working hardware from a defected device but everything else is brand new, especially the exterior part of it, including a brand new battery.

With the remanufactured, Apple does thorough testing to make sure that all the hardware passes the test and to make sure that nothing fails in the test before it's given out as a replacement. The brand new ones are hit or miss, they do go through testing but it is likely done once and once it's done it is packaged and shipped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.