Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Hi all,

After my success using FWB hard disk toolkit to partition and format the flash drive, I thought I'd use it to repartition the hd in my Quadra 650. The drive is a 4 gb IBM, which was formatted as a single partition, which led to huge file system overhead.

This turned out to be a disaster ...

Everything appeared OK. I made the partitions, and copied a system folder onto one of them but now when I boot the machine with the hd connected, I get a sad Mac. If I disconnect the hd, I can still boot from the flash drive.

Setting the startup disk to the flash drive has no effect. I have to disconnect the hd to be able to boot.

Is there any way around this? Can I somehow bypass the hard drive and reformat it again?

I suppose there is a remote possibility that the drive may have died as a result of the pummeling the toolkit gave it, but I doubt it.

I really should learn that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Last edited:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I have no answer but I can't help but notice that you have the worst luck with
computers seeming like they're doing fine and then blowing up in your face

Chillbil out

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I have no answer but I can't help but notice that you have the worst luck with
computers seeming like they're doing fine and then blowing up in your face

Chillbil out

Computers like me...

Anyway, because I'm just playing with these old crocks, I do things I wouldn't risk if they were used for work, or had important data on them.

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Of course I do.

Since I'm doing quite a few things at once, you got the impression that I have a lot of failures. This is not really the case. I've never actually bricked anything (before now).

In this case, I don't really know where the problem is - as far as I can see (I still need to check this) I can't even boot from a diskette when the drive is connected.

Last edited:

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I can confirm that the computer won't boot AT ALL when the hard drive is connected. Not even from a diskette.

When the hard drive is disconnected it will boot from the diskette or from the flash drive.

I think the drive hardware has failed.

Anyone have another explanation?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I can confirm that the computer won't boot AT ALL when the hard drive is connected. Not even from a diskette.

When the hard drive is disconnected it will boot from the diskette or from the flash drive.

I think the drive hardware has failed.

Anyone have another explanation?

Sounds like the driver that FWB HDT installed onto the drive is incompatible with something. Make sure NO OTHER SCSI device is connected and there is no CD in a CDROM drive (if you have one).

I have a few queries before going further;

How did you boot up the Quadra to re-partition the 4GB drive?

What version of HDT are you using?

Is the Quantum drive an Apple badged version ?

When does the Mac 'bomb'. Immediately, or after the Happy Mac face?

daniel-b

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Never mind, it's fixed.

It was indeed incompatible versions of the disk driver, system and whatever.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.