Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
kfishpro3
macrumors newbie

21.5 inch basic iMac (1299 version)

I currently have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 gb of RAM. I am going to school for film/video production. I am big into short films and I also do weddings. I am starting to have to edit a lot more videos and my macbook pro just can't seem to handle it that well. It does the job, but runs slow. I want to upgrade to the new imac. Since I am in college, I can only afford the 1299 version. I use the Adobe Premium Production Suite, mainly premiere pro cs6 and after effects cs6. I edit DSLR 1080p footage. Would this iMac be a good upgrade from my macbook pro. Is it worth it for what I am going to use it for?
kfishpro3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2
MacMiguel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfishpro3 View Post
I currently have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 gb of RAM. I am going to school for film/video production. I am big into short films and I also do weddings. I am starting to have to edit a lot more videos and my macbook pro just can't seem to handle it that well. It does the job, but runs slow. I want to upgrade to the new imac. Since I am in college, I can only afford the 1299 version. I use the Adobe Premium Production Suite, mainly premiere pro cs6 and after effects cs6. I edit DSLR 1080p footage. Would this iMac be a good upgrade from my macbook pro. Is it worth it for what I am going to use it for?

No, sincerely, your actual MacBook is enough powerful then the basic model of iMac won't be a noticeable upgrade.... Save your money for a year!
MacMiguel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfishpro3 View Post
Editing on a 21.5' vs. 13-15' is a night and day experience in terms of ease
iPhone 5 | Black | 32GB TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post Imho....

the base model can be useful. But I am not so sure that is worth. My principal concerns are the HDD ( 1 TB) and RAM. 1080 footage can comsume fast a 1 TB drive. And Adobe software it is prone to eat RAM in chunks.....so, maybe you can buy the base model and upgrade components later, when you know for real how that works for your needs. The graphic card in this model sounds good and I believe it is CUDA enabled.

Hope you can upgrade the RAM and HDD right away.....

Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5
kfishpro3
macrumors newbie

I actually do plan to upgrade to 16 gbs of RAM. So by doing that, would it be a good fit for what im doing? And my macbook pro hd knly has 320 gbs so 1TB is a bit of an upgrade for me. I have plenty of externals
kfishpro3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Jiskefet
macrumors newbie

FCP X usese more GPU than CPU so the graphics (512mb) will maybe the bottleneck ?
Jiskefet is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac