Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hi.

Currently the biggest hassle and bottleneck in my usage of my cute (and maxed out) 11" MBA is network connectivity.
When in the office it is docked and hooked to 1Gbps ethernet, however, when at home, I use wifi and it is really crowded (50+ 2.4GHz networks an ca 10 5GHz ones in range) and I get 1-6Mbps (!) depending on the time of day.
I can already get an 802.11ac router to see if it helps at all, but of course it won't help if I can't get an ac adapter into the laptop somehow.
Ideally I would like it inside, but do you expect to see adapters to fit in the USB port and not stick out too much?

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Not in their current iteration, the 802.11ac modules are about the size of an ice hockey puck. That was an outright lie, and exceptionally poor joke. Yes we can expect them almost certainly this year. Here's a relevant and recent article.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
50+ 2.4GHz networks an ca 10 5GHz ones in range

Holly crap.

Now 802.11ac still uses the 5ghz band so is not like you get the whole thing to yourself overnight.

Maybe get together with the building's tenant and go, Hey guys this is not working out. Am thinking sharing networks and/or using dipole antennas so the signals don't bleed too much into neighbors. At the very least, if all tenants are in the agreement, adjacent neighbors will use non-overlapping WIFI channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.